Author Topic: Electric Bike Range Simulator  (Read 19941 times)

Offline Bartek

• Confirmed
Electric Bike Range Simulator
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:11:09 PM »
Subject: Simulator of electric bike range
Please note:
HI. My name is Bartek and I'm from Poland.

I work in the field of electric bikes: http://www.maxev.pl/, and I have some programming knowledge. I created an online application to simulate electric bike.
http://www.electricbikesimulator.com/
Simulator allows for an estimation of the range of an electric bike in real time. It can simulate the acceleration of the vehicle, driving up the hill, different speeds, the weight of the vehicle, the coefficient of rolling resistance (tire type, tire pressure, surface type), the coefficient of aerodynamic bicycle rider front surface, and the size of the wheel.

I used MagicPie because the engine looks nicely when turning.

I created this application to show my customers what the factors are range of the ebike. At the beginning I wanted to use the simulator only in my shop but I decided to share it with others on a separate website.
Many people have already tested the simulator and the results do not differ from the reality of more than 90%.

What do you think about my app?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Electric Bike Range Simulator
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:50:17 AM »
Hi Bartek andto the forum.

You have done a superb job of your Range Simulator, which I think looks fantastic, and I particularly like the amount of detail that you have incorporated into the appearance and animation of the wheel:

I think you must have put a great deal of time and effort into the making of this simulator.

Congratulations on a job well done!

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:12:17 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 06:56:52 AM »
This really is a work of art! I can really visualize how well this works based on my real life experiences. Fantastic. I hope you don't mind if I put a link to it in my website.

Gary

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:03:16 AM »
Hi Bartek,

That is just stunning!   Well done, Sir!

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Bartek

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:36:25 AM »
I hope you don't mind if I put a link to it in my website.
I don't mind, it would be great :)

I think you must have put a great deal of time and effort into the making of this simulator.
So little... :) Currently in Poland snows and frosts, work less, so more I am working at a computer

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 05:17:55 PM »
According to the simulator, with all the same settings besides the battery, the bike will go exactly twice distance with 48V comparing it to 24V battery (same capacitance).

Does this happen in the real world as well?

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 06:29:13 PM »
I don't think so.
It's the same when you buy new car, you will never get the same results as provived by the manufacture.

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 06:41:52 PM »
But according to the simulator it is...

Anyway, how much the range will be different while riding on the same system on the same surface with 24V and then with 48V batterry (same capacitance)? 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 06:43:39 PM by just »

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 07:20:34 PM »
I really don't know there are to many factors for power usage.

Like your weight, bike, road, weather conditions, traffic, your hand ;D (controlling power) etc etc...

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »
I said the same system with same conditions on the  same road... The only difference is the battery... Case#1 is 48V10A battery, Case#2 is the same battery, but split to two batteries (2x24V10A). Will the bike be able to cover the same distance or it will be different for two batteries?

Offline Bartek

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 08:02:38 PM »
I think, for the system 48V10Ah distance will be longer with the same speed as the 2x24V10Ah.
If You ride 25 km/h on 24V, You ride on 100% max speed for kit. But when You ride 25 km/h on 48V You ride on 55-60% max speed.
Look for the efficiency graph for 24 / 48: http://www.goldenmotor.com/magicpie/MP-performance%20curve%2024V.pdf / http://www.goldenmotor.com/magicpie/MP-performance%20curve%2048V.pdf

Efficiency is higher for 55-60% max speed 48V than 100% max speed 24V.

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 08:11:37 PM »
Good point Bartek! It seems that an efficiency is one of the keys... Any other thoughts?

BTW, I contacted regarding this issue with Cyclone Motors (Taiwan) and they say that riding on the same system on the same road with 48V10Ah battery would give me ~20km, but with two 24V10Ah batteries would give ~40km. Honestly I don't understand this and they refuse to explain...

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 01:45:54 AM »

BTW, I contacted regarding this issue with Cyclone Motors (Taiwan) and they say that riding on the same system on the same road with 48V10Ah battery would give me ~20km, but with two 24V10Ah batteries would give ~40km. Honestly I don't understand this and they refuse to explain...

The only thing to understand from that is the person you were in contact with is a moron! They can't explain it as they have no idea what they are talking about.

Two 24V10AH batteries in series gives you 48V10AH or exactly the same as one 48V10AH battery. Same distance. Same speed.(give or take a bit)
Two 24V10AH batteries in parallel gives you 24V20AH. Half speed and double the distance (give or take a bit)

I have three 48V10AH batteries in parallel on my eBike so I go three times the distance of one 48V10AH.(give or take a bit)

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 02:12:11 AM »
According to the simulator, with all the same settings besides the battery, the bike will go exactly twice distance with 48V comparing it to 24V battery (same capacitance).

Does this happen in the real world as well?

This I do have real world experience. Not exactly as you asked but here is what I did.

A few years back when we first figured out how to get the Cycle analyst to work with the GM kits I had a pro 901 motor on my Joy-ebike. I had several batteries in use at that time. One was a 36v16ah lithium (maganese Uck) and the other a 48v12ah lithium (maganese as well uck uck). If you multiply the voltage times the amps you get the same capacity for both batteries, 576. On a 26 inch wheel at 36 volts the bike would go about 34 kph. At 48 volts it would go about 48kph. With the CA set to a maximum speed of 32 kph and max watts at 500 both batteries would go approximately the same distance in the same amount of time. With no restriction on speed both batteries would go approximately the same distance but the 48 volt would get you there faster.

My experience is, if the capacity is the same (volts times amps) and both run at the same speed and watts they get the same distance. Now I am sure there are complex mathematical formulas to prove me wrong. But since I don't understand the technical stuff that well I go by the 'azz in the seat' experience I have gained over the last few years.

So with your question about a 48 volt going twice the distance of a 24 volt with the same amps. I would have to say if the both were restricted to the same speed and watts the 48 would go twice as far (approximately) as it has twice the capacity.

Gary

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 10:48:53 AM »
Total energy.

In serie 24V10Ah = 48 X 10 = 480 Watts.
Parrallel 24V10Ah = (24 X 10) + (24 X 10) = 480 Watts.

I am confused now........

Or this a wrong calculation?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:52:39 AM by MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER »