Author Topic: Mountain Pie!  (Read 8098 times)

Offline atcspaul

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • motor bicycling
Mountain Pie!
« on: December 22, 2012, 11:47:32 AM »
well I have converted my trek 3500 to mountain pie. I used to ride mountain bikes daily. raced them ect. had a bad accident and broke my collar bone and didnt ride for a few years then I got into gas bikes and now electric. I have really missed playing in the woods, jumping ect which I never felt comfortable with a gas bike because of the engine mounts or the electrics because of weight and also battery on a rack which is not designed to take abuse. I ordered a golden motor water bottle battery for a back up for traveling across island and back just in case I needed it. after getting in the battery and feeling how light it is around 5 pounds I was pretty happy. then when I mounted it I was like its time to build an electric mountain bike. this battery mounts solid on the frame. anyway I took the Smart Pie and put a new alex rim da16 with black stainless spokes which helped with weight. then it was time to loose every gram I could. new headset and stem. get rid of all reflectors and misc stuff not needed. kickstand on their now just for pictures. end result is a pretty nice mountain bike. back when I started mountain bike riding the old cromoly mountain bikes weighed as much or more then this set up. I have been jumping and playing like a little kid and having a blast. the set up is only 36v and 250 watts which is European legal for those of you living in nations with restrictions. it does around 18 mph on the flats which is more then fast enough when riding single track trails. it would also be a great set up for city riding where their is lots of traffic. I have ridden the bike up a few hills that I would have had problem with back in my younger days and I made it up them. had to pedal hard and and the motor assist I was able to make it all the way up. I painted the battery to match the bike and it is also pretty stealth. I am very happy with the mountain pie!

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Mountain Pie!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »
Nice bike....it fits your bike very well.
You have look before you can see it's a electric one:-).

Offline atcspaul

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • motor bicycling
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 03:01:13 PM »
i just picked up some green paint. I hope it is a good match. if it is I am going to paint the battery to better match the frame. had someone ask me why I carried the thermos around with me. they had no idea it was a battery. this bike is a blast. I been beating up the trails with it. I get home dripping with sweat so its a heck of a workout. what I enjoy the most is the hills I been climbing at my age I wouldn't have a chance getting up them pedaling. with the motor I can climb anything as long as I do not loose traction. makes this old man feel like a kid again

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 06:31:44 PM »

What a great idea..

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 07:44:43 AM »
Really nice looking bike. I wish I had a water bottle battery too instead of a rack mounted one. But just because of the looks, I don't mind the rear centered weight.

If you are going to do some real mountain climbing with your magicpie (edit: ment to say smartpie) you should set the controller to 20amp (if your battery can take it), I've done that and it makes a lot of difference in torque. When off road the legal limitation don't apply, plus it's very hard for anyone to know what the controller is set to.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:25:33 AM by Lollandster »
Disclaimer: I know nothing.
My ebike Build blog

Offline atcspaul

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • motor bicycling
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
i have the Smart Pie on this one. the Magic Pie is on the cruiser I use for the roads. which are you setting to 20amps?

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 01:25:32 PM »
At default factory settings it's already set to the max.

Offline atcspaul

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • motor bicycling
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 01:58:50 PM »
actually not. I changed the Magic Pie to 30 continues max 70. I think it came 30-50. I havn't messed with the Smart Pie yet. it is still at factory settings

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »
Waauuww 70A? I don't it can handle 70A.
So when you set to 70A it doens't do anything, your controller protected to it max current it can handle.

Offline atcspaul

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • motor bicycling
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 04:27:06 PM »
its been running great.  I read on here about people setting them at 70

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 04:35:47 PM »
the smartpie is 15a from factory and it can be set to 30amps.
My ebike Build blog

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »
Aaha that sound more acceptable.

What is the torque of Smart Pie in NM?

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »
some online stores advertise it as 40nm but I have no way to measure it and there is no information about it on the GM site that I can find. The magicpie is advertised as 70nm so its probably safe to say that the smartpie has half the torque of the magicpie.
My ebike Build blog

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 07:00:40 PM »
Thanks wauww quite big torque for a small motor.

Hmm I will wait for the new version..... :)

Offline atcspaul

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • motor bicycling
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 09:59:26 AM »
i recieved this back from golden motor on the battery

The battery has  3-C discharging rating. This means 3x8A=24A continuous. Maximum current is 50A for a few seconds.