Author Topic: Changing from 700c to 26 inch back wheel ..is this possible  (Read 6106 times)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Changing from 700c to 26 inch back wheel ..is this possible
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I have The Magic Pie on the back of my bike now it is a 700c wheel Hybrid Bike .. I love the Magic Pie run it at 48 volts and even with my fat A-- on it the bike will get up to 21 MPH I normally cruise at 14mph using the cruise control.

Anyhow I also have a Trek "mountain bike" it has street tires on it a comfy seat , wide handlebar its set up for the street. Thing is this one has a nice suspension ...Shock on the rear and spring forks on the front .... Sooo I would like to change the Magic Pie Kit to the Trek wheel  but it has a 26 inch wheel rather than a 700c wheel .. The bike with the 700C has no suspension and it rides a little rough over the bumps on the road ...

What would it take to put the motor on the 26 inch wheel ? I think it would just need to have the rear wheel relaced then I could change the rest of the parts over from the Hybrid bike to the mountain bike..

Please any suggestions on this would be appreciated .. I know I can and will do this but would just like to do it in the easiest way I can ....Thanks so much Don J.

Offline truly_bent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Changing from 700c to 26 inch back wheel ..is this possible
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 07:13:46 PM »
If you're only getting 21mph (33.8kph) on a 700 wheel (27.5"), something is wrong. I'm also running 48V and my top speed is somewhere between 45 and 50kph (28 to 31mph) on a 26" wheel. You should be going faster cause your wheel diameter is greater. Sounds like your controller has been limited.

My recumbent is likely heavier than your hybrid, I'm carrying a 20AH battery (28lbs), and I'm probably fatter (I could be wrong about that last one). The only advantage I have is less wind drag, but I can't seeing it make that much of a difference.

As for the wheel swap issue; Gary has rims and spokes available:
http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/Golden-Motor-Rims.html
http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/Spokes.html

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:15:42 PM by truly_bent »
Burley Canto recumbent w/ MP II, Lyen 18FET controller, 48V 20AH LiFeP04, Cycle Analyst, and 4 pounds of zip-ties

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 12:46:15 AM »
Jeff, if my memory serves me right, Don has the early MkI Pie with the longer crossed spokes, so he will need 130mm spokes instead of the 110mm MPII spokes that I suspect Gary now sells:

The early Pies were not as quick or as powerful as yours because of the lower Amps that the standard internal controller delivered (anywhere between 10 and 30 Amps Max depending on how fortunate you were with the controller you received)
Also, Don is using sealed lead acid batteries, so his voltage is likely to sag dramatically under load as well.
Lower Voltage + Lower Current = Much Lower Speed. ;)

Your MPII is bound to be a lot quicker, as it's powered by a Lyen 18FET controller which is running off a 48V 20AH LiFeP04 battery!

My original Pie was not very impressive (even with a high current LiPo pack) as it would only just reach ~20 Amp Max Current, so I decided to carry out a dual controller conversion on my motor, which was not very successful.

After removing the damaged second controller and increasing the thickness of the shunt it was instantly transformed into a really powerful motor which I used for almost 12 months until I unfortunately broke it again while performing the ultimate stall test:

After I repaired it (and modified the shunt even more) it was absolutely amazing, but only for a relatively short time before it finally gave up the ghost completely:

Having experienced what 4kW can do to a lightweight pushbike, it's very hard to make do with a standard controller again. :(

I'm still considering running a single internal controller with an additional sets of FETs on the spare heatsink for a long lasting power increase.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:23:50 PM by Bikemad »

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 02:00:25 AM »

Hello Alan,
                You're the person who helpd me get going again after I had a bad connection ... Thanks Again .. I "had" to ride the bike to work yesterday as my car had a bad starter .. 5 miles .. Been wanting to ride it to work for  a long time ... It went fine 20 minnutes ..

Since you look at these so much maybe you can tell me where or if there is a good place to buy a LiFePo something like 48 volts and 10 amp hours ..

I am allways looking to tinker with these bikes Think I enjoy working on them as much as riding them ..

Got the car fixed today had to change the Starter ..What a pain you have to take the intake off to get access to the starter ... Great Engineering...

Thanks for helping me out again, Don J.

P.S. you are right I have the 1st model of the Magic Pie..wonder if there is a any compatable upgrades for this model....Thanks Again  , Don

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 06:28:34 AM »

Hello everyone ,,, Thank You for the speedy reply and the info you  sent me .. I am still sorta confused . To Change the motor over from one bike (the 700size) to another size .... 26 inch I buy the spokes then have it respoked into the 26 inch wheel ...
         I think I can take apart the one on the bike get the motor out of the 700 size wheel and I still have the wheel to replace on the 700 size bike it is the one I took off when I installed the Magic Pie wheel assy. to the bike..
       Now then respoking the 26 inch rear rim to the Magic Pie motor is another story .. I think I can get it started lining up the spokes on the wheel and motor then take in to a shop to have the finished respoking done ?? Sound OK to you???
         So Thanks once again for allof your help .. I 'd be lost, Don J.

Offline atcspaul

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • motor bicycling
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 04:32:01 PM »
i would take to a shop and let them build the new wheel. if you are not an experienced wheel builder its worth the cost to have someone else do it. you want your wheel perfectly round and no wobble. one spoke off a half turn can take the wheel out of true

Offline Rollerbyke

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 08:19:11 PM »
I am converting my 26" rim to a 700cc rim... The reason being that my byke's original 26" rim is not a standard 26" rim...

The Rollerbyke 26" rim is a 26 1 3/8 rim and is closer to a 700cc rim than the standard 26" rim that comes with GM 26" wheel/motors, and as such the GM 26" does not fit my byke's brake post alignment, whereas the 700cc does.

One question my bike shop had was what type rim would be strong enough for the GM hub motor.
We decided to go with ordering a GM 700cc rim and spokes from Gary... and sticking with their system.

My question is... how big a factor is rim/spoke strength when deciding on changing out rims with the GM motor?

Like I said... I decided to just stick with GM rims and change out in kind...just with a bigger rim and leave the question as to other rims being strong enough for another day.