Author Topic: Magic Pie II Dual Drive  (Read 74761 times)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie II Dual Drive
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2010, 04:38:21 PM »
One wheel drive. What happened?

Oh how did I not see the rest of that post? I think you edited it while I was reading it haha just saw all of this now :)

You've probably already read the post about how the wheel died. Anyway I contacted Tom and he sent me a replacement controller which went in with some careful 'safety' mods like heatshrink around the phase wires then epoxy over the ground track on the bottom of the board so the phase wires can never short.

I must say the quality of the phase wires were much better (heat resistant casing) then the older pies.
And to my amazement after I replaced the controller it's now so much better than ever! Haha so it was fate me thinks.

Hey Gary do you run 2 batteries with your setup or just 1? I run 1 and pre-replacement it was okay but now I'm leaning to either an additional battery, or building one into my frame that can handle the Monkey power...

And cheers for answering all my questions I didn't know I had so many!

MM<

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2010, 10:53:52 AM »
I mean the results from the CA's.

Ok, Somehow I managed to find the time. The front pie is now an external controller pie . Factory made with off the shelf controller and no modifications. Both the external and internal controllers are set at default settings at 24v. The only difference is the rear exteranl pie is at 100 percent regen and has 3 led lights running off it and the front external pie regen is at 50 percent. I feel I need to use regen to assist stopping as my rolling weight with me, the bike, the trailor and all my gear clocking in at over 400 pounds. Even with disk brakes front and rear it is difficult to stop without regen. I hope to get a more exact weight in the near future when I get the chance.

After a 34 kilometer (21 mile) ride. I got off the bike pulled out the phone and shot a video with no forethought. So if I'm babbling with no point please forgive me. You can see the video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUcYOSIgLSo

Let me know what you think. The most interesting thing I find is the rear int pie burns more amps going full throttle uphill, the front external pie burns more amps going full throttle downhill. On cruise on flat ground they burn about the same.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2010, 03:28:53 PM »

Hey Gary do you run 2 batteries with your setup or just 1? I run 1 and pre-replacement it was okay but now I'm leaning to either an additional battery, or building one into my frame that can handle the Monkey power...

I have two 48v12ah batteries. For a while I had the batteries wired in parralel. I did this so I could insert the shunt for the Cycle Analyst after the batteries and before the motors. Then I could read a combined total of the data. Then after re-reading some posts from Leslie about possible problems I wired each battery seperate to each motor. But I wasn't sure how to get combined data for the Cycle Analyst. where whould I put the shunt? Could I use two shunts then splice the cables together before they reach the CA? Then I thought why not read the data seperatly, That would really give me good comparisons on how each battery and motor is performing. Now as you see I decided yo go with two CA's. Problem now is its twice as hard to keep my eyes on the road reading all this live data!

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2010, 11:07:58 PM »
Haha nice :D

Les has some really good points there however, with your setup you wouldn't run into any issues. Maybe in a higher current setup, but with yours - it would be better running in parallel, due to the increase in current output you will get.

Since you charge the batteries separately they will balance out.

I feel that without 'maxing' out each batteries current output, the combined current output will yield greater efficiency from the batteries not pumping out constantly.

Hey maybe when you find some more of that 'spare time' you can make a parallel battery set plug, with a CA shunt built in so that you can do some tests and see if you can get a higher current draw from the 2 batteries in parallel. I have a feeling you may ;)

MM

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »
I may try that in the near future, but I am very happy with my setup as it is now. It would be an interesting test and a cheap excuse to mount yet another CA :) Here is a photo of my current setup I stopped to take a photo and hug my bike a few times on the way home from work yesterday.

Gary
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 01:49:24 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Gary's Magic Pie II Dual Drive
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2010, 03:03:43 PM »

It looks very nice, but I think it would look even better with some suitable side covers on the trailer. ;)

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Gary's Magic Pie II Dual Drive
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »

It looks very nice, but I think it would look even better with some suitable side covers on the trailer. ;)

Alan

Ok I'll bite! With all the photoshop experts in here, lets see what design could spiff up the trailor. Of course it would have to be somewhat realistic for me to be able to pull it off.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2010, 03:28:33 PM »
Maybe a promotional banner on the side like this!

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2010, 09:03:44 PM »
gross gary

lol

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2010, 09:28:30 PM »
This would make the product sell itself.
 ;D
Is this really you Gary, or are you a Photoshop expert?

Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2010, 10:49:05 PM »
That's Burt Renolds pose from the 1970's. It is kinda gross I should delete it, I was trying to find something more Cartoonish.

Gary

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2010, 12:01:23 AM »
No, please don't delete it I was just joking. I think the picture is very funny just because the difference between your cartoonish superman face and Burt's gross body.

Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2010, 12:37:32 AM »

Hey maybe when you find some more of that 'spare time' you can make a parallel battery set plug, with a CA shunt built in so that you can do some tests and see if you can get a higher current draw from the 2 batteries in parallel. I have a feeling you may ;)

MM

I was thinking about doing this. maybe incorporate a double pole switch to cut it out. Then I could go parralel or seperate. Now I guess I would run the parralel wires before the shunts or after?

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2010, 02:30:56 AM »
Hi Gary

Shunts would =
Power source ---> Shunt ----> Wheel Power

So to answer your question would work like this:
Battery 1 ----> Switch ----> Battery 2 ----> Shunt ----> Wheel Power

Currently I am working out what I can best use all the free space inside the GM battery casing. I highly recommend using this before adding extra enclosures and running wires along the bike.

Inside the battery terminal end, I room for the following I'm relocating to neaten up and also increase security:
-6.8Ah 12v lithium battery
-12v motorcycle alarm, inbuilt shock sensor
-60A latching relay to turn the motor battery on/off (connected to the remote alarm for keyless use)
-DC socket to charge the lithium battery

I'm mounting a Turnigy meter on top of the battery with the wires through a hole on top that I will seal.

So as you can see there is a ton of room that surely gets the ideas happening!

I also want to goto a auto supply store or something and buy some gasket rubber sheet to cut out for both the battery end caps. Neither of them are sealed and have seen a couple of people on the forum here with water ingress.

Opening my casing was because I was considering making a fiberglass casing around the battery, and probably to cover my middle triangle part too. But then I thought "Why build a casing for a case??" I decided to seal off the battery really well, and add a few trinkets in there while I was at it.

I'll get some pics happening of inside the battery casing and post a topic on it as I'm sure others will find it useful.

Peace out MM

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2010, 01:43:39 PM »
Hi Gary

Shunts would =
Power source ---> Shunt ----> Wheel Power

So to answer your question would work like this:
Battery 1 ----> Switch ----> Battery 2 ----> Shunt ----> Wheel Power

Certainly that makes sence and it is how it was wired before the recent change, except for the switch. I'm thinking..
battery1 -> parralel -> shunt CA1- wheel power
                  ||
               switch
                  ||
Battery2 -> parralel -> shunt CA2- wheel power

Using a double pole switch in the ON position I imagine both CA would get the same readings,  a total of both batteries

In the OFF postiition I would get readings as I do now, a seperate readng on each CA.

Basic wiring scenarios like this I do find easy to understand, but I always like to confirm everything before attempting it. I have fried a few things in the past. :o

Gary
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:48:30 PM by GM Canada »