Author Topic: European buyer  (Read 5989 times)

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
European buyer
« on: May 27, 2009, 01:50:35 PM »
dear users,

i am from the netherlands and is it possible to get the 48v 1000 w hub motor ,26 inch and a battery pack of 48v 20 ah or 16 ah the best there is?
will it arrive to my house without any problems?
are there any others who bought these in europe, I don't mind if it goes to fast or if I need any papers because I only ride it to school, (im 16 years old) how long does the shipping takes to the netherlands?
the ride is 8 km and I want to do about 40.000 km a year? will the battery and hub motor last atleast 2 to 3 years without me doing stupid things?

thank you
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 02:50:56 PM by hardcore »

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
Re: European buyer
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 03:34:10 PM »
Hi,

We have many buyers from the netherlands.
I don't suggest such a high powered bike.
For you my friend, I would recommend a 36V500W and a 10AH battery.

Offline Perbear

• Technical Officer
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 03:45:49 PM »
My friends and I in Norway have ordered many kits from GM and have always received the parts so basically, the risk is low but you might get parts that is not OK.

I have had the following problems: twice I got brake handles made of plastic that I did not trust but GM have dropped those and are no longer shipping them.
I recently got a bad 36V/16Ah battery and is still waiting for spare parts.
Also one person got a bad motor after 1 km ride, but he got a new motor within a week or two at no cost.

I believe quality control at GM could be improved but if you find bad parts they are quite helpful and will replace the broken items but it takes some time.

You should also be aware that the new European e-bike (EPAC) standard, EN 15194 will soon be a requirement for complete ebikes and the relevant ebike parts. In a few months I believe customs in some countries will start to check if this is the case with shipment containing electric bicycle parts.

I would also not recommend a 48V system, 36V is better as they are supplied ready made with battery casing and charger. The 1000W motor is also four times the legal limit, a 500W motor should be plenty (and only TWICE the legal limit)  ;)

Per

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 04:08:32 PM »
how fast wil I go with no winds and no hills on a 500w 36v or 750w 36v, my dad said I should pick the biggest motor there is in hub-powered ebikes? is he wrong?
i don't mind being 4 time the legal limit.

i also live far away from any other police stations and never see or saw others or me getting arrested by riding a bicycle with a hubmotor, not even wenn our lights won't work should I then chose the 750 Watt's 36 v system?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 04:11:22 PM by hardcore »

Offline Perbear

• Technical Officer
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 04:36:24 PM »
No wind and flat surface...that gives you basically the air resistance to fight against as all the friction loss including rolling friction (in high pressure narrow tires as normally used on commuter bikes) is low.

I guess you would be travelling around 40 km/h with 750 W and around 35 km/h with 500W. The small speed increase as you increase power with 50% is caused by the fact that the power required to overcome air resitance increases with the cube of the speed. Double speed requires eight times higher power. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_drag

Kreuzotter has a nice speed calculator that has been available on the net at http://kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
At the moment the website seems to be down but hopefully it is only temporarily, this calculator is perfect for what you want to find out.

Good luck  :)

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 07:56:58 PM »
thank you for you're response, http://bikecalculator.com/veloMetricNum.html this link says I can go 7 km/h faster but in real life I woult rather pick the bike that goes the fastest so you don't have to go full trottle to go 35 km/h but 75% throttle to get to 35 km/h the link you said to me gives an 404 arror so I searched google for it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:54:57 PM by hardcore »