Author Topic: Finding the right E motor - Diesel MD2030D goes out and Electric Engine goes in.  (Read 684 times)

Offline Seahorses

• Confirmed
Hi there,

I have a 28' long keeled, transom hung rudder 9000 pound sloop with a huge diesel engine that I have begun to disconnect before removal along with a two radiator Webasto system, all of which takes way too much space in the boat. The boat has crossed oceans before me and will again, with me. I have a single 200watt 12 v solar panel for my three batteries, and all is running very well, but the diesel must go and I am preparing for a replacement. I will install a monitor windvane too.
I do not have space enough for sufficient solar panels, and I don't want wind generators, but will likely get to maybe 500watt total with panels. Yet all this may be irrelevant once I start learning how and which e motor I would use. Though I am thinking the 10 Kw would be it. Then again, a 5Kw may be more relevant for longer battery pack time... I don't need speed. But I want sufficient muscle to navigate as safely as needed.

I came across a video with a 10 Kw Golden motor on a catamaran (Fantasia). That motor was delivered with the motor controller and connecting cables, as "a kit" (?). The captain referred to it as simple to work with, yet efficient, and pushing their catamaran without issues.
I want my e-motor to be sufficiently powerful to navigate me out of trouble, with sufficient battery power for it in terms of muscle and duration of potential heavy seas or no-wind days drifting away. I'll probably have a small generator to compensate for lack of sun, and potentially turn my current propeller into a regeneration solution, if possible.
I would appreciate being guided to where I can learn, to avoid asking questioned already answered, and make the right purchase from the get go.

Kindly,
Alex
🐋

Offline Pontus

• Confirmed
    • Grinde 19
I have a boat of similar size where I have done the conversion you mention.

It's all quite well documented on the boats web site. although written in Swedish, there's a Google translate button on the page that does a fairly decent job.

https://grinde-19.se/ref/gmf
Follow along my electric conversion of a 4 ton Danish sail boat. Grinde 19