Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 3-Way Switch  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Fredlef

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 5 3-Way Switch
« on: May 19, 2019, 12:58:19 PM »
In looking at the picture of the PAS wiring it seems I should be able to put in a 3 way switch.  Black to the center pole, Blue to one pole, Red and Yellow to the third pole.  Theoretically this should give me Revers, PAS or off.  Anyone see anything wrong with this logic?

Thanks,
Fred

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Magic Pie 5 3-Way Switch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »
Hi Fred,

The reverse needs two wires as you describe. (Blue and Black) Just need to ground (Blue)reverse wire. But the PAS needs three, 5vdc (Red), ground (Black), and the (yellow) sensor wire. So combining the 5vdc and sensor wire as you suggest would not work. I can see how the plus symbols on the diagram could lead one a stray.  ;)

I think it could still be done with a three way switch though if you had batt ground to the center pole. Blue wire to the top for reverse, and PAS ground to the bottom pole to enable PAS. Thereby switching the ground...Switch up reverse, middle off, switch down PAS...

And welcome to the forum!

Regards,
T.C.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:23:44 PM by Tommycat »
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 03:14:15 PM »
I think it could still be done with a three way switch though if you had batt ground to the center pole. Blue wire to the top for reverse, and PAS ground to the bottom pole to enable PAS. Thereby switching the ground...Switch up reverse, middle off, switch down PAS...

I was thinking pretty much the same thing:

In my diagram, pressing "l" would enable Reverse and pressing "ll" would enable Pedelec, as the rocker switch contacts operate on a similar principle to this toggle switch:

I haven't tried it but I'm reasonably confident that it would work fine.

Alan

Offline Fredlef

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 04:38:20 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  Not sure if/when I will do the pAS portion but this gives me a nice option.  Also I have recently designed a 3d printed housing for a round 3 way switch (working on turn signals).  Complete with cover.  I will get that up on Thingiverse as soon as I get a chance and post a link - if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Fred