Author Topic: Can I safely run an MP2 with a 52V battery?  (Read 4405 times)

Offline Ions82

• Confirmed
Can I safely run an MP2 with a 52V battery?
« on: October 14, 2018, 03:03:41 AM »
I acquired a few NOS MP2s earlier this year, and I've yet to run one of them myself.  I installed one for a gentleman whose e-bike was stolen.  He ran it at 36V and was raving about the regen braking.  I just picked up a chopper (Nirve Cannibal) and I want to run one of the MP2s in front.  I'll first weld a disc tab on the fork.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I can safely run this motor with a 52V battery.  If fully charged, it would be at 58v.  Is that too high for the stock controller on an MP2?  I like the "cleanliness" and simplicity of the internal controller, so I'm hoping that I can keep it.  Would it play nice with 52V?  I just bought the 52 for my other bikes, and I'd live to use the same battery for all of them.  Thank you for any thoughts and/or input you're able to offer.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Can I safely run an MP2 with a 52V battery?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 12:03:34 PM »
That voltage will be fine for the MPII controller, I have been regularly running mine (modified for more current when it was fitted back in 2011) on both 7S and 14S LiPo (29.4~58.8V fully charged) without any problem.

And I really prefer the regen on the MPII to the later MP4 and MP5 motors!  ;)

Alan

Offline Ions82

• Confirmed
Re: Can I safely run an MP2 with a 52V battery?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 07:13:11 PM »
That voltage will be fine for the MPII controller, I have been regularly running mine (modified for more current when it was fitted back in 2011) on both 7S and 14S LiPo (29.4~58.8V fully charged) without any problem.

And I really prefer the regen on the MPII to the later MP4 and MP5 motors!  ;)

Alan

Excellent.  Thank you for the info.  I followed some of the info found in this forum and modified one of the MP2s, but I've yet to run it.  For this build (an e-chopper), I'll probably just keep it stock as I've read that too much power on a front wheel can get dicey (especially on a chopper).  I don't anticipate needing to accelerate quickly.  I just want to cruise around on a cool bike from time to time.  8)