Author Topic: Rim thickness?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Sean Solo

• Confirmed
Rim thickness?
« on: September 22, 2018, 10:41:08 AM »
Hey all,

I'm just curious to know the width of the rims on the MPs.  I'll be getting a 24", and will add new rubber at that time as well ('cuz - why not?).

I just want to know which size tires to order, and a search on here didn't really provide a clear answer.

Also, can someone tell a non-bike-guy how to easily remove and reinstall hand grips without getting a hernia or popping a blood vessel?  There MUST be a way...lol
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 10:45:38 AM by Sean Solo »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Rim thickness?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 12:34:46 PM »
I would expect the 24" rim to be the same width as the 26" rim, which is 1.5" :

Your existing front tyre should simply transfer over onto the new rim to avoid having to buy a new tyre and inner tube, but if you really want to put a new tyre on it, most 24" bicycle tyres should fit.
Your existing tyre should have its size printed somewhere on the sidewall.

Although the rim is only 1.5" wide, it can still accept quite a wide tyre, as I have fitted 2.35" wide tyres on my 26" wheels and they fit nicely on the narrow rim:

I find the easiest way to remove the hand grips is to loosen the brake lever assembly on the handlebars and then use it to push the grips off the handlebars by pulling around the brake lever mounting bracket and clamp assembly.

If they are of the hard plastic variety, it may help to pour some hot water over the grips first.

Some soapy water usually helps the hand grips to go back on again, and the grip should be nice and secure again when the water dries.  ;)

Alan

Offline Sean Solo

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 02:52:29 PM »
Hey Alan - thanks again.  :)

Yeah - the ones I have now are 1.75", but they aren't great.  Plus, once I install a motor, I want as puncture proof as I can get...within reason. :P

So, I'm not really limited by that number, in other words?  Sorry for all of the newb questions - I'll learn - eventually...lol

Any suggestions on a good brand?  I've been looking at Schwalbs.  A slightly more aggressive tread too.

Brake levers!  Great one! :D (DERP!)

Offline MrFred

• Confirmed
Re: Removing Grips
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 06:12:09 PM »
I find the easiest way to remove the hand grips is to loosen the brake lever assembly on the handlebars and then use it to push the grips off the handlebars by pulling around the brake lever mounting bracket and clamp assembly.

If they are of the hard plastic variety, it may help to pour some hot water over the grips first.

Some soapy water usually helps the hand grips to go back on again, and the grip should be nice and secure again when the water dries.  ;)

Alan

Some people have suggested using furniture polish under the grip for removal and hair spray for putting the new ones on. The hair spray will harden a bit and provides a bit of a glue effect. I have tried this with success a couple of times.

Offline Sean Solo

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
Hairspray huh?  I'd have to get that, and the clerk would look at me strange...lol  <shaved bald> :P

Very cool though.  My grips are a rubbery, grippy type stuff - and they are on there.  I put them on, and had a rough time...lol

Thanks MrFred.