Author Topic: 601 display and Bluetooth dongle  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Ronrrm

• Confirmed
601 display and Bluetooth dongle
« on: September 16, 2018, 07:51:26 PM »
Two questions...

Has anyone figured out how to connect both of these at the same time?  I'd be interested if it is feasible to send signal output from the controller to each device, but only return signals from the BT dongle.  So basically, both devices would be able to show data, but only the BT could do the programming.

ron
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:19:04 PM by Ronrrm »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 601 display and Bluetooth dongle
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:35:10 PM »
Hi Ron,

I received a pre-release version of the Magic Pie Edge three years ago, and I asked GM if it would be possible to make up a parallel connecting “Y” lead to allow both the Bluetooth unit and the BAC-601 Smart Display to be used simultaneously.

The reply was, "this involves two way communications, so it only supports one device at one time".

Without having more information (and a much better understanding) regarding the protocol used for data transmission, it is difficult to say whether the two devices could be used simultaneously without one device affecting the operation of the other one.

If the BAC-601 could be made to work by simply reading the data from the controller that was being transmitted to the bluetooth dongle, it may work, but then the mode button for selecting the different pedelec levels would be unusable if the BAC-601 unit was unable to send data back to the controller.  :(

I also mentioned that if it was not possible, perhaps a future option would be an LCD display with integrated Bluetooth connectivity, but as far as I am aware, there's still no sign of it becoming a reality.  ::)

Alan

Offline Ronrrm

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 01:35:46 PM »
Sure seems it would be a push for GM to integrate the BT into the display, probably easier than building an app for the iPhone.  If they did one with a color display and BT, I'd buy one.

I bought the display because I didn't want to use my phone as the 'display', but I like to tweak the settings now and again just to see how changes affect the ride.  Real PITA having to connect/disconnect every time I want to do tweak.

I guess with the 2way comm's, the question is what is the display sending vs. the BT device, assuming one didn't need the PAS setting from the display and you would be comfortable doing all programming via BT.  I suspect the Mode's are internal to the display, but that's just a guess.  I suppose putting a scope on the send wire from the display would confirm some of the guessing.

Wonder if they would have a different answer if the only functionality required of the display was to be a 'display' and the BT device do the setting/programming.

Might be an interesting winter project.  With the weather as nice as it is, I don't want to disturb any of my setup and miss a day of riding.

Do you happen to know who the manufacture is for the connectors GM uses, I'd like to get a set to build a break out setup to do some testing?

ron

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 06:27:51 PM »
I suspect the Mode's are internal to the display, but that's just a guess.

As the pedelec modes can also be changed using the Bluetooth App (via the Bluetooth dongle instead of the display and separate mode button) it is obviously not just the display that can control them.

Do you happen to know who the manufacture is for the connectors GM uses, I'd like to get a set to build a break out setup to do some testing?

Unfortunately not, but if you had a faulty throttle and a faulty controller you could simply chop off the two 5 pin connectors and repurpose them. It might be worth contacting your local GM dealer to see if they have any dead parts that could be butchered for this purpose.

Alan