Author Topic: New Member - Magic Pie 5 Vector wire colors from main bundle  (Read 4712 times)

Offline MattgilsonOhio

• Confirmed
Hello,

My name is Matt Gilson and I'm currently trying to streamline an Ebike for the Columbus, Ohio market.  My plan is to clean up the wiring for the Magic Pie 5 Vector hub motor, but in order to do that I want to make sure I understand the function of each wire and it's corresponding color coming from the bundle directly from the motor.  I have found wiring diagrams for the MP4/SP4 but nothing for the MP5.  I have cut open the bundle and I realized there is an additional wire versus the MP4, so I am afraid to use the MP4 pin-out.  Any help/support is greatly appreciated! 

-Matt-

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: New Member - Magic Pie 5 Vector wire colors from main bundle
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 08:27:12 PM »
Hiyas Matt!

Welcome aboard!

I'll trade you this...

For some pics of your cut open harness!    ;)

Going to add some water tight connectors close to the hub for easy tire access?

Regards,
T.C.

See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 08:29:19 PM »
Hi Matt andto the forum.

The only difference I have seen between the MP4 and MP5 wiring is the additional +5V supply on pin 4 of the 5 pin connector that is used for the Bluetooth Dongle, USB programing and the Smart LCD display unit:

I'm not sure what colour wires are used for each function, so you'll have to carefully check which pin they are attached to.

If you have a later controller than the one I inspected to create the above diagram, you could possibly have pin 1, 2, or 4 of the 10 pin connector in use, but on my early MP5 controller they were not used.

Alan

Offline MattgilsonOhio

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 06:45:54 PM »
Sorry I didn't get to everyone sooner, and thank you for the input.  I attached a picture of the main bundle cut open, just to show each wire color.  I tried to cut it right near the pins and it was a total mess.  I opened up the controller and powered it to see what the LED does in the controller.  It initially blinks once, and then it blinks 14 times and continues to repeat 14 times.  I immediately ordered a new controller as a back up.  Additionally I bought a new harness and new throttle.  I connected everything as I did with my initial set-up on my bike that used to work.  Nothing.  :(. The girlfriend and I are going to check continuity tonight.  She is an electrical engineer and may be able to help. 

I wish I had a way to check what the controller LED blinking 14 times indicates.  Thanks again for all of the input so far. 

-Matt G

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 11:06:34 PM »
Hi Matt,

14 regular flashes indicates that the throttle or control harness is disconnected.  ;)

Alan

Offline MattgilsonOhio

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 11:22:28 PM »
Very good information.  I thought I saw something regarding that from some German fellows on here.  Maybe the connection on my throttle is not strong enough (I haven't soldered into place, only twisted).  I'll report back! 

-Matt-