Author Topic: My new diy battery works but doesn't, any suggestions?  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Thuktun

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
My new diy battery works but doesn't, any suggestions?
« on: April 26, 2018, 05:27:32 PM »
I'm stumped. Made a new diy battery. It works, when on a multimeter shows the correct voltage at the outlet. Plug in the bike, nothing. Plug in an old battery, powers up fine. Polarity is correct and it's using the same outlet plug my last diy battery used with the same plug on the motor cord so it isn't a poor connection there. I have no idea what the problem is. Any suggestions?

Anyone know how much current is drawn when you switch on? I can't see it being enough to cause the BMS to cut out, especially since I'm using a precharge resistor.

Motor is a Magic Pie Edge 26", battery is 14s7p with BMS.

Offline Thuktun

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: My new diy battery works but doesn't, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 06:00:23 PM »
It has to be a bad connection somewhere, it just turned on. Weird because I could turn it on, read a voltage, plug in the motor and get nothing then unplug it and still read a voltage. Unless the bad connection is on the socket...

Offline Thuktun

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:38:02 AM »
One of the balance lead wires was loose. The BMS would read a voltage but it was actually 1 cell too low and it wouldn't put out any power. Seems fine now.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »
Good to hear that you've sorted the problem.

Alan