Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 troubleshooting help  (Read 5511 times)

Offline Socalbiker

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 5 troubleshooting help
« on: March 15, 2018, 06:21:07 AM »
Had to fix a flat. When I got bike back together there was no throttle response. What I have tried to isolate problem:
- CA shows I have correct voltage
- all the LED's on throttle light up.
- tried a different throttle
- tried a different harness
- tried the troubleshooting tips - twist throttle 4 times also hold cruise control button on

I'm pretty sure it's something in hub or controller. Any suggestions on how to figure out where the problem is?

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Magic Pie 5 troubleshooting help
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »

The throttle has 3 wires going to it for motor control. Some how the controller is not seeing a 1 to 4.25 voltage reading on the throttle signal wire. Things I would check... Bent or broken pins? Is the controller putting out ~5 volts to the throttle? Is any thing trying to make it back? Good throttle ground wire?
With your previous trouble shooting I would probably start checking for voltages at the disconnected 10 pin connector...

Here's a couple maps.

Just a word of caution...be wary of that motor spooling up!

Regards,

T.C.
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Socalbiker

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 03:27:04 AM »
Thanks TC.
I am pretty sure the voltage is making it to the throttle since all the LED's light up when I energize the system,  if I unplug the 10 pin connector the LED's on throttle go dark. I need to get a small bus wire or wire clip that I can use with a multi-meter to probe the pins.

The other thing I've tried is checking with the vector control software, but it no longer connects. So for now I suspect it is the controller.

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 02:15:55 PM »

I am pretty sure the voltage is making it to the throttle since all the LED's light up when I energize the system,  if I unplug the 10 pin connector the LED's on throttle go dark.

Actually the throttle gets two different voltages...Full battery voltage that is provided for the LED display charge status. And regulated 5 volt supply for the throttle operation... they both use the same ground.

I need to get a small bus wire or wire clip that I can use with a multi-meter to probe the pins.

Yes, it's really tight in there and you absolutely don't want to be shorting the wrong pins!  :o  Double check the map, and note which side the labeling is for...PIN or Receiving side.

The other thing I've tried is checking with the vector control software, but it no longer connects. So for now I suspect it is the controller.

Yes, It also uses the same 5 volt power source. But I'm still holding out hope that it is just a bad wire or two BETWEEN the plug and controller!   :)

Regards,

T.C

Offline Socalbiker

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:13:45 PM »
Looks like it's the controller, I get the battery volt, but no 5 VDC on throttle or control harness connector. 

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 11:25:55 PM »

Once you get it out... :o  perhaps you'll want to check the white wire for continuity... If this picture for the Magic Pie 4 holds true for the 5...

Or look for the SP+ board connection point. Or even check for the 5 volts at the board.   ;)

T.C.