Author Topic: Do my Magic Pie 4 need some grease or....  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Clausp

• Confirmed
Do my Magic Pie 4 need some grease or....
« on: December 20, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »
Hi
I run two bikes with Magic Pie 4 with heavy load and my one front 20" motor is making
a Metallic noise. - see video ! The noise is the same turning wheel by hand or by battery !
Anyone had this problem ?
www.cphotography.dk/ewheelnoise01.MOV

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Do my Magic Pie 4 need some grease or....
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 06:51:49 PM »
Hi Claus andto the forum.

The noise is coming from one (or possibly both) of the wheel bearings, and this usually occurs when water finds its way inside the bearings, eventually causing rust to form on the metal balls.

There is a large bearing on the brake disc side and a small bearing on the opposite side.
If your bearings are the metal shielded type (instead of the rubber seal type) water is more likely to get inside the bearing and cause the bearings to fail, especially if a hose pipe or jetwash has been pointed anywhere near them.  ;)

If you only have one shielded bearing and one sealed one, the chances are that you will only have one noisy bearing (which is most likely to be the shielded one) and I strongly recommend that this should be replaced with a rubber seal type.

If both bearings are noisy, you will obviously have to replace both of them to completely cure the noise.

Check out this post for further information and bearing details.

Please note that the bearings on the MP4 and MP5 (and probably the Smart Pies and Magic Pie Edge too) are the same sizes as the MPIII bearings shown in the above linked post.

Alan

Offline Clausp

• Confirmed
Re: Do my Magic Pie 4 need some grease or....
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 07:35:44 AM »
Hi Alan !
Thank you for your information. Bearings are now ordered !