Author Topic: Problem with max forward speed setting MP5  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Michael

• Confirmed
Problem with max forward speed setting MP5
« on: December 14, 2017, 08:26:48 PM »
Hello,

I'm having problems with the forward max speed (rpm) setting. In this field in the programming software you can enter a value from 1 to 700. However, every time I program a value above 380 it will always reset to 380. I'm not doing anything wrong when programming since I can program every other setting to any value I want. Only this setting is giving me problems.
For example, I connect and upload from the controller. Then I enter 600 and download. The setting will say 600 now but when I upload again or reconnect, the value is back to 380.
Ideas anyone?

Thx, Michael.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Problem with max forward speed setting MP5
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 09:46:20 PM »
Hi Michael andto the forum.

You are not doing anything wrong, it is just an incorrect "suggested" maximum setting stated within both Bluetooth App and the PC  programming software:

As you have already discovered, 380rpm is the maximum figure that the Magic Pie vector controllers will actually accept, as this is pretty much the maximum rpm that the motor will produce at on 48V pack charged to the maximum of 58.4V.

If the motor was able to spin at 700rpm, this would equate to a road speed of 87 km/h (or 54mph) with a 26" wheel.  :o

I seem to recall that my MP4's actual maximum unloaded motor rpm only began to noticeably change when a Maximum Forward speed (rpm) value of less than 360rpm was entered.

If it were possible to save a higher rpm to the controller, it would not allow the motor to spin any faster, it would basically make the throttle very sensitive, as its usable range would be reduced by almost half, meaning that the first half throttle movement would go from zero to maximum rpm (360~380rpm) and the remainder of the throttle movement would not increase the motor speed whatsoever.  :(

As the maximum motor speed is dependant upon the supplied battery voltage, to make the motor spin faster than 380rpm would require a higher voltage battery than the Magic Pie vector controllers can accept.

If you really need/want more speed than 380rpm would provide (47km/h or 29mph with a 26" wheel), you would need to use a higher voltage battery and modify the motor to accept a higher voltage external controller.

Alan

Offline Michael

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 05:42:08 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thank you for your answer. This explains a lot. The speed is enough for me, only the max speed drops with the voltage of the battery. Would have been nice to keep the same max speed throughout the range of the battery.
Is there a way to make a batterypack of (for example) 64V and fabricating it so that the output voltage is 60V for a whole time and when the pack drops below 60V the output voltage goes down with it?
I'm just thinking out loud  :)

Greets, Michael.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 06:42:47 PM »
I had previously considered using a pair of Boost step up converters to produce a consistent 60V output across the entire battery discharge range using a small, lightweight (and lower voltage) LiPo battery pack.

Using two of these with a 48V pack should work, but you would need to monitor the battery voltage (not the output voltage) during use to determine how much battery capacity remained.

Two of the above boosters wired in parallel should be able to produce a continuous output current of 30A @ 60V, which is the maximum that a single Magic Pie will draw with a standard controller.

You would need to accurately set the output voltage of both boosters to the same 60V before connecting the outputs together in parallel to ensure they shared the load evenly.

If it was constructed into a stand alone unit that simply plugged in between the battery and the controller's battery lead using the same style Anderson connectors, it could easily be bypassed in the event of an unexpected failure, so that you are not left stranded without motor assistance.

It would also need adequate airflow to ensure the units did not get too hot.

My biggest concern was whether regen would cause problems, as I don't think it would be possible to feed current back through the boosters.  ???

It may be possible to use a high current relay (operated by the brake switches) to automatically switch the positive motor lead from the booster "+ output" to the booster "+ input" while braking to allow the regen current to flow back into the battery.

Now you've got me thinking out loud too.  ;)

Alan

Offline Michael

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 05:14:49 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks again, it seems I know what I will be up too during the holidays  ;). Exactly what I had in mind. I'm currently using the regen function so will have to figure that out too or just disable it.
I'm currently already monitoring  the battery voltage of every serie of cells in parallel (13 in total) so that part is covered...

Greetings,

Michael.