Author Topic: Wire colors in harness  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
Wire colors in harness
« on: March 28, 2017, 04:36:35 AM »
Hi,
I have to use an old Smart Pie controller and I no longer have any of the controls for it. I need to connect throttle and brake, but I don't know how. Does anyone know the color coding for this harness. I can of course just cut the cable and use a multimeter to find this information, but just in case of surprises (all wires the same color or similar) I thought it best to ask here first.
Disclaimer: I know nothing.
My ebike Build blog

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Wire colors in harness
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »
I don't know the colours of the wires, but here are the pin connections for the wiring harness:

The mechanical brake switches connect to pins 6 and 9 of the main connector (the +5V is only required for Hall sensor type brake switches)

The throttle Hall sensor connects to pins 5, 9 and 10 and the LED battery gauge supply can be taken from pin 3.

If you don't have the matching control harness connector, and end up having to cut the 10 pin motor harness connector off, make sure you leave a short piece of the cable attached to the connector so that you can trace the pins (and their relevant functions) to the individual wire colours.  ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:32:40 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:23:48 AM »
Thanks Alan. If you don't know I guess no one knows. I'll have to figure it out myself.

I have the original Smart Pie BTW so the diagram you supplied doesn't apply.
This should be the correct one for me:
My ebike Build blog

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 12:03:12 PM »
In that case you'll need to use the "Battery -", "+5V" and "Throttle Signal" for the throttle Hall sensor (and "Battery +" for the LED battery gauge supply) and the "Battery -" and "Brake Signal" for the brake switches.

It's been so long since I've used my bike with the original Smart Pie that I'd forgotten that the early Smart Pies had the "pre-vector" controller.
My other Smart Pie has the vector controller, and this is the bike that I prefer to ride for road use.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:32:06 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 05:03:58 AM »
I use sine wave controllers on my two bikes with Q100 motors and I found it made a huge difference on those motors. I wonder how much difference it makes on the Pies. I'm tempted to test. I have a 400Amp sinus controller for my boat project I could hook up to the MP3  ;D.
My ebike Build blog

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 06:10:42 PM »
I have the colors now:
? Battery Voltage: Orange
? 5VDC: White
? Ground: Black