Author Topic: How to disable pedal assist  (Read 8468 times)

Offline Rahvee

• Confirmed
How to disable pedal assist
« on: November 04, 2016, 12:43:59 AM »
I have the Golden Motor Sports Bike with Magic Pie 5, and thumb throttle. I was surprised on my first ride to find it was also pedal assist. I would like to disable pedal assist, and just use the thumb throttle. Is this possible?
Thanks...

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: How to disable pedal assist
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 12:26:08 PM »
Hi Rahvee andto the forum.

According to the description of the sports bike, the pedal assist is optional:
Configurations:
1. Aluminum Alloy bike frame -- (Black color)
2. New Magic Pie 4 - 1000W Rear motor 26'' wheel
3. 48V10AH LiFePO4 battery with 3A charger
4. Water-proof integral wiring set with silver plated Plug-pins
5. Variable speed Thumb throttle with battery level indicator
6. Cruise speed control button
7. 6 speed Shimano Tourney? derailleur & shifter system
8. Front & Rear disc brake system
9. 1:1 Pedelec Assist System(Speed sensor)(optional)
10. LED headlight&Tail light
11. Removable battery pack
12. Battery lock with key start
Measurement: 145cm*30cm*82cm / Gross Weight: 41kg

You might be able to turn the pedal assist option on or off (PAS enable 0: Close or 1: Open) within the programming software/App (Via USB or Bluetooth), however, I have just tried turning the throttle off on my Magic Pie Edge (which doesn't have a pedal assist sensor connected) and it doesn't prevent the throttle from working, so perhaps the PAS enable option may not work either.  ???

Alternatively, you should be able to simply disable the pedal assist function by unplugging the wire going from the Pedelec sensor on the bottom bracket to the motor harness:

If you cannot see the above connector on the cable going to the motor harness, you may have to remove the pedal crank and remove the black plastic magnet ring instead.

If you don't have a crank removal tool, you might be able to push the five individual magnets out of the plastic ring using a thin screwdriver etc.  ;)

Please let us know which of the above suggestions you tried (and which of them actually worked).

Alan