Author Topic: Magic Pie 3 to MP5 Compatibility  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Pzal123

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 3 to MP5 Compatibility
« on: October 03, 2016, 10:32:55 PM »
I currently have a Magic Pie 3 with the plain silver backed controller. It came with a full conversion kit, (throttle, brake levers, wiring, etc.). It has served me well but I fear its time has come. If I upgrade to a MP5 vector, can I use the hardware that I already have?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie III to MP5 Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 10:33:37 AM »
Hi Paul,

Unfortunately the connectors on the wiring harnesses and controls are all different between the early MPIII and the later Magic Pies, which means that you will have to swap all the wiring, switches and controls as well.
The early MPIIIs have an 8 pin connector between the motor/control harness, whereas the later MPIIIs, MP4s and MP5s have a 10 pin connector.

If GM were to produce a specific 8 pin plug to 10 pin socket adapter, you would be able to simply plug the MP5 into your existing MPIII wiring harness and use your existing controls.

The Vector controllers also require a different USB programming cable with a 5 pin connector instead of the MPIII's 8 pin connector, but if you have the Bluetooth dongle and a suitable Android phone, you should be able to use that for programming instead of the USB lead and Windows laptop/PC.

Obviously, you will be able to reuse your original battery with the new MP5, which I'm assuming is still working OK.

Alan

Offline Pzal123

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 05:17:30 PM »
Thankyou for your quick response Alan, and for the info. On a slightly different line of questioning,... I rode in the rain and the bike started sputtering and the motor got "chunky". So I got off and pushed and things where fine like that, still had lights at the throttle and such. Then on a downhill section I got on and rode some more, (as I was still 8 kms from home). after a few minutes the lights flickered and died, at the same time the wheel all but locked up. It would still turn, but barely.

Will replacing the controller fix this? And if so any thoughts on where to find one. Garys site at Golden Motor Canada says the replacement for the silver backed one I need is no longer in stock.

Thanks again,

Paul

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 08:48:46 PM »
After a few minutes the lights flickered and died, at the same time the wheel all but locked up. It would still turn, but barely.

Will replacing the controller fix this? And if so any thoughts on where to find one. Garys site at Golden Motor Canada says the replacement for the silver backed one I need is no longer in stock.

If the motor is still stiff to turn with the battery disconnected, it sounds like the controller is definitely dead, but I'm puzzled as to why the lights flickered and died. Perhaps the controller has failed in such a way that the battery was overloaded, causing the BMS to cut the power.

If the controller was damaged as a result of incorrect Hall sensor signals caused by water entering the motor, then a new controller could end up being damaged in a similar way.  :o

I would dismantle the motor and remove the controller to see if there is any sign of water inside the controller housing.
With the controller disconnected from the motor, check that the motor turns normally again.

I would then remove the L/H side cover completely and check inside the motor for signs of water ingress or corrosion around the Hall sensor legs.
The three Hall sensors each have three thin wires and are located just below the magnets at the top of the stator in this picture:

I suggest you email Gary direct (garysalo@goldenmotor.ca) and ask him if he has any of the universal MPIII controllers, as it's possible that he may have some in stock that are still waiting to be entered into the online system.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:38:39 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Pzal123

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 11:38:08 PM »
Thanks for all your help Alan.

I have completely disconnected the controller and yes the wheel turns normally again. Also a quick volt meter check on the battery output is showing 56v. Im pretty convinced that a new controller will make things right as rain, but I'm going to save that for a winter project/backup system. There's a lot of miles on it. Going for a Black pie 5

Thanks again,

Paul