Author Topic: MP5 Controller Death?  (Read 14701 times)

Offline MrBulp

• Confirmed
MP5 Controller Death?
« on: December 08, 2015, 05:26:15 AM »
hi guys,

i think my MP5 Contoller is dead! why im saying this.. as I can detect bluetooth dongle only & there is notice that connect to Device..

but then there is no batery level, volt indicator, rpm etc on the app...

i do open the hub & found out the red led not blinking at all.. but there is blue light on my bluetooth dongle.. the controller a bit warm!

id the MP5 without attach the bluetooth dongle & it alive! the MP5 works!

but the MP5 dead when I attach the bluetooth dongle & connect it thru app...

am I correct?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:04:54 AM by MrBulp »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP5 Bluetooth problem
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:02:15 AM »
I don't know if Gary's constant blue light is the same as your fault but it might be worth a try.

Check out Gary's post and video for more details on how to perform a flash update on the SP5 and MP5 controllers.

Alan

Offline MrBulp

• Confirmed
Re: MP5 Controller Death?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 01:33:49 PM »
hello Alan..

yup sometimes constant bluelight.. anyway thank you for the info.. :)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 10:41:50 PM »
What controller do you have?

Offline MrBulp

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 12:19:24 PM »
hi Gary,

not sure.. will update this info tomorrow Asean Time..

Offline MrBulp

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 03:20:10 AM »
Hi Gary,

i have two MP5 controller, 1 for 26" MTB & 1 for 20" Foldie.

this one (refer picture) for 26" MTB can detect the bluetooth dongle inside the app but still cant connect.. & the motor can run normally

the other controller 20" Foldie cant even detect the bluetooth dongle.. there is blue light blink for few second.. there is battery light indicator at throttle but the Motor is dead! can not run at all..

best regards,

MrBulp

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 10:34:49 AM »
Are you able to connect to either controller using the USB lead and PC software instead of Bluetooth and Android?

Have you tried plugging in the other Bluetooth dongle to see if the motor runs with a different dongle?
It might help to determine whether the controller or the dongle is causing the dead motor problem.

Alan

Offline MrBulp

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 10:30:23 AM »
Hi Alan,

i can connect to controller thru usb into PC & do the firmware update.. the is progress just like the video guide by Gary... but still the motor cant be use..

the battery light indicator is ok as usual.. & id notice that still no red led blinking..

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 11:08:58 AM »
If the voltage settings are correct and it still doesn't run, I'm inclined to agree that it's probably a controller problem.
I think you should contact your supplier and explain the fault to them and see if you can get a replacement controller.

hi guys,

before my MP5 26" MTB controller suddenly cant connect to Magic Meter app via bluetooth...

i manage to test near the limit of overvoltage protection of Magic Pie.. with 5 x 11.1v 5200mah 45c LiPo batteries

top speed with

48v    = 45-50kmh range 15km
63.4v = 50-60kmh range 15km

Perhaps the 63.4 volts was too much for the controller. ;)

That might be why GM state the open voltage is only 20V-60V instead of 20V-63V:

Alan

Offline MrBulp

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »
hi alan,

well id already send email to mercy... since id buy the controller directly from them..

about the open voltage limit.. maybe they should limit overvoltage protection to 60v instead 65v in their android app... but then its an awesome feeling to push the limit to 63.4v & get more speed!

:)

Offline Ecobully

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 03:25:23 AM »
Yes. A great feeling at 61.5V (15S * 4.1V), but my hardtail bike could not take the bumpy roads. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't source a 15S BMS. I run it now at 57.4V (14S * 4.1V), and it still goes faster than is safe for my bike. I ride a Panigale R at the track when I have a desire for g-force and speed (and feel MUCH safer than my ebike @ 55KPH).

I think the 63V limit on the controller was poor until I realized that most bikes frames cannot accommodate those speeds in a safe manner.

** Can the MP5 go with an external controller just in case we want to shove 72-100V into the motor? ** If so, how would it be wired?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 10:45:16 PM »
** Can the MP5 go with an external controller just in case we want to shove 72-100V into the motor? ** If so, how would it be wired?

The answer is YES! Here are some photos showing a basic modification to the Hall sensor wires and Phase wires on the motor to allow an external controller to be used:

The Magic Pie seems to run very well on high voltages and should reach around 40mph on 100V with the right controller, batteries/wiring etc..

Check out these videos to see just how quick and powerful it can be:

100V Magic Pie
40mph Magic Pie
20" Magic Pie on 120v / 30S lipo - 42mph!

I have only used the GM internal controllers on my Magic Pies, but I did tweak one of the original internal controllers so that it pulled just over 97 Amps on a 14S LiPo pack, and that was definitely a lot of fun to ride.

Unfortunately, the poor controller didn't live for very long with the huge current increase.  :(

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:24:19 PM by Bikemad »