Author Topic: bluetooth  (Read 6267 times)

Offline Supchrgamx

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
bluetooth
« on: September 27, 2015, 09:55:35 AM »
any idea when they are going to have the iPhone Bluetooth working

Offline AdamB

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 05:58:41 AM »
I didn't even know it was not working... What's wrong with it? Unfortunately, I am an android, windows & Linux guy myself, so I don't use/know IOS/apple...

I actually personally hate it... They are as bad, if not worse then Microsoft but yet they like to pretend they're perfect & MS is the boogieman. Drives me nuts! At least MS admits they are anti-competion & trying for a monopoly!

Still, I've recommended the MP5 to several iOS users because of this feature... So if there's something wrong, I want to know, do I can tell them ability it.

Thanks
Adam

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 02:41:45 PM »
Still waiting on the APP. Everytime I ask they say 2 weeks...

Gary

Offline AdamB

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:29:05 PM »
That stinks... Sorry to hear about the endless delays on IOS app functionality. Thanks for the heads up, I'll pass that on to those who need to know that... Hopefully I caught it in time before they depended on my advice to buy something; or maybe they'll just finally switch to Android;)

Actually you can get an android Bluetooth device for dirt cheap (especially compared to iOS devices). The cheapest (best) way to get a dedicated device for the MP5's use is to just buy a cheap Android device with just Bluetooth, USB OTG & small screen (+ GPS if needed).

That way you don't have other radios/stuff eating up the battery & just get what you want. For example, an amazon you can get such for under $40. Probably get several days battery life on 1 charge & you can hardwire it into your power systems, if desired!

If you are tied to the apple products for whatever reason, can't have another device & either need or want functionality via Bluetooth with your motor; you can create a VPN & VM to operate the Android app on the apple device with iOS or actually run Android instead of iOS!

Hopefully 1 of these options can help people until the issues are resolved with iOS & the app.

Btw- my advice on Bluetooth devices to run the app... Get full Bluetooth 4.x: not just Bluetooth low energy (there's compatibility issues with BLE only working with another BLE able but not the rest) but full Bluetooth 4.x can do BLE & the rest)... Good luck

Adam

P.S. if you get said device, you can also use it to shake enable a highly effective anti-theft element if it has at least some Wi-Fi, GPS, gyroscope/accelerometer, (backup too) camera, etc...

Depending on your programming skills, you could set it up that when left alone (or otherwise instructed)...
(A) Require password to use;
(B) If handled (gyro/accel) it sounds an alarm over Bluetooth (don't wire direct to speaker, cause then if the crook yanks out the alarm, they won't know that's not the entire alarm system);
(C) Lock down the motor with the app;
(D) Take pictures/video with camera: &
(E) Send locating/ID data from GPS whenever there's a Wi-Fi signal...

That's just the basic elements, it can operate as security system, I'm sure there's other things to do also. Just make sure you get sufficient RAM, processing power, storage,  etc. to run said system. But if its just a minimal dedicated device with no fancy stuff, you can get cheaper but lower capability device... As always, KISS rules!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 01:07:45 AM »
Btw- my advice on Bluetooth devices to run the app... Get full Bluetooth 4.x: not just Bluetooth low energy

If you want your Android phone to work with the GM Bluetooth device it must be running Android 4.4 or higher, as the GM app won't run on earlier Android versions.  ;)

Alan

Offline AdamB

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 09:26:42 AM »
Thanks, I couldn't remember which it was... To me that was long ago:) Actually I was trying to look it up but couldn't find it anywhere, not the threads about it, not the GM.ca MP5 pages, etc... It was really frustrating!

Adam

P.S. I actually recommend (especially if new to Android) sticking which an older version... As long as it is 4.4 or after, you'll be fine with the app but it's not unusual to find the latest Android release to be kind of buggy... I never update my missions/systems critical machines to the latest, version untilthings have been stable & problem free for at least 4-6 months...

Something's I'm willing to play guinea pig & beta tester for, but something that controls a high speed vehicle that my life is dependent on & can kill me if things go wrong? Nope, not going to happen!

Adam

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 03:31:11 PM »
I realize this is old, but I just got my Bluetooth adapter and only have IOS.  I came to the conclusion of buying a used android phone, then I read Alan's comment about just a Bluetooth device and that is fantastic idea.  I also contacted GM yesterday via their website chat and was told 3 months on the IOS app.

Also, where on Amazon is the device Alan mentioned.  I looked but got bogged down with all the BT stuff.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:41:18 PM by Dangwillo »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 12:11:23 AM »
It wasn't me who suggested a simple Bluetooth device, it was Adam, but whether you go for a tablet or phone will probably be determined by the size of the display.

The important thing is to make sure it has Bluetooth and Android version 4.4 (KitKat) or newer.
I had a quick look on Amazon and found the following for under $40:

Tagital® T7X 7" Quad Core Android 4.4 KitKat Tablet PC, Bluetooth, Dual Camera, Google Play Store Pre-installed, 3D Game Supported, 2015 Newest Model- Black

$38.99

Ipro® Wave3.5 I9355-2 Unlocked Dual SIM Branded Android 4.4 Dual Core Smartphone (Black) - Decent 3.5 Inch Multi-touch Display GSM 2G & Wifi Mobile Phone, Original without Contract

$39.99

A 7" tablet might be a bit too big to mount on the handlebars as a display unit, although it would be a lot easier to see than the 3.5" screen on the smartphone if your eyesight is not as good as it used to be. ;)

Alan

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 04:37:37 AM »
Cool.