Author Topic: Battery on full suspension frame  (Read 5956 times)

Offline Stegolden

• Confirmed
Battery on full suspension frame
« on: May 15, 2015, 07:03:13 AM »
Hello,
i will install my Smart Pie 4 on full suspension bike with small triangle frame.

standar bottle battery don't fit and I don't like frog battery

have you suggestions about triangle battery for install on this bike? i'd like to install model with rigid box like this:

thank you!

Offline Hastings

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Battery on full suspension frame
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:39:46 AM »
I suppose you want to do some serious offroading. Very few factory built battery fittings will survive that.my suggestion : use a modular battery . for instance  subdivided into  4 parts . a typical Lifepo cell can be  150x105x12.5mm it takes 16 for 48 v.

so if you want a maximum thickness of 5 cm there will be 4 groups of cells. Make  a wooden of styrofoam mockup and try to see if it will fit.  remember to include space taken by supports. then cover the sides with lexan or make plug and mould fittings.
I

Offline Dirk

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 03:01:44 PM »
I mounted my sliding rear tray bracket to the bike frames top tubes between the seat and the handlebars by welding 4 small aluminum tabs aligned with the brackets 4 mounting bolts, then using long stainless thru bolts to attach the tray. The battery slides On/Off the tray only when I remove the seat post, as it slides backwards to come off. It is just narrow enough to fit between my knees while riding, but if your doing extreme jumps and crashes etc, it may not be for you. A rear seatpost clamp type carrier rack could be used, but would need to be drilled out with a center bolt to keep it from swinging around behind you with that much weight. On a hard wipe out you might break that bolt, so use a soft bolt, so it will break rather than bend the frame or break the seat post. Just like a " shear pin" does on the propeller of an outboard motor prop. Carry spare bolt. I tried to send a pic but no room on this thread.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:08:22 PM by Dirk »

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 01:01:05 PM »
I think the best solution is a backpack.  I used a small camel-back style backpack for the battery when I go on fire roads.