Author Topic: First ebike build!  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Mtbbrad

• Confirmed
First ebike build!
« on: April 08, 2015, 02:58:59 PM »
Hey there everyone.  I just purchased a bike on Monday and this was my first REAL bike.  Nothing fancy but just a decent quality bike.  I picked up a Giant Revel 1.  I must admit it put a smile on my face the first time I rode it.  My rear end wasn't as impressed after 20 mins on that hard seat though as I haven't been on a bike in 10 years.  So.... I am going to convert this into an electric come late spring early summer.  What I am hoping to get from all of you experienced fellas is an honest opinion of what you think I would be best with.  I was thinking about a front Smart Pie Vector kit when Gary gets them in stock.  I know rear is better but my bike is a 24 speed so I have an 8 speed freewheel, and I would like to keep my stock gearing and shifter setup.  The front fork might be aluminum.... It is made by suntour(100mm I think).  I do want to be able to pedal either with motor assist or by myself, so I was reading and found out the parasitic drag would be less with than with a Magic Pie motor.  I am not looking for a ton of power.  I would most likely run it on 24 to 36 volts and would be easy on take offs and not like a 16 year old kid who just got their license.  I would be using a cycle analyst as well. This bike does not have disc brakes btw.  Just linear pull. 

Sorry for the long post but I tried to be as detailed as possible. 

Thanks everyone!
Brad

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: First ebike build!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »
Hi Brad

Welcome to the board.   It would seem to me that you have already made up your mind!  I personally would go for the higher voltage, but then I like faster better than slower:)  The comment about the alloy fork is especially important, but Alan has come up with a cheap easy cure:  epoxy bond the head of an open end wrench to the drop outs to keep them from being spread open by the torque. ( And don't try to tell us you wont use much torque.  When you get used to a little bit, and more is available,  guys always wind up using full throttle:) )

Have fun!

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Mtbbrad

• Confirmed
Re: First ebike build!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:10:02 PM »
Would the wrench mod be more effective than using a proper torque arm?  Thanks for your help