Author Topic: Spokes  (Read 5325 times)

Offline Tbnrider

• Confirmed
Spokes
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »
I am trying to lace a 902 hub into a 27" rim.
The heaviest spokes that bicycle stores carry are .078" dia (straight gauge)
The spokes supplied with Golden Motor wheels are .087" dia. (straight gauge)
The holes in the flanges are 3.21" dia, which are too large for standard bicycle spokes. They might pull through.
Where can I get the heavier .087" spokes?  I calculate that I need 264 and 266 mm spokes for a 2 cross spoke pattern.
Roy

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Spokes
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 01:45:27 AM »
The holes in the flanges are 3.21" dia, which are too large for standard bicycle spokes.

Roy, a 3.21 inch hole is definitely far too large for bicycle spokes. ;D

Assuming it's a 3.21mm hole, you should be able to use Sapim "Strong" butted spokes but they would have to be custom made to the correct length.

Check out this post for more details.

If you're still worried about these spokes pulling through the holes you can also use suitable washers on the spokes to help spread the force (and remove excessive play) before you assemble the wheel.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:48:59 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Tbnrider

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 06:00:16 AM »
Roy, a 3.21 inch hole is definitely far too large for bicycle spokes. ;D

Whoops!  Sorry !  Yes. of course the holes are 3.21mm not inches.
Thanks for the info.  I have heard about single butted spokes but I have never seen one.
I see there is a dealer in Toronto.  I'll check it out.
Thanks.........Roy

Offline Kirk Jones

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 10:20:45 PM »
Figure out what spoke length you need and go to http://holmeshobbies.com/Sapim-Stainless-Custom-Spokes.html and place yer order fer the spokes ya need. I have a Catrike Expedition with a Cargo Monster extension. The motor is a beast C'lyte 3540, hooked to a Lyens 18 FET low RDS controller, programmed for 5000W and there is a 72V 32AH Turnigy LiPo battery to run it all. I put 12 gauge Sapim spokes from Holmes on it and have thoroughly thumped that trike and the spokes are still in fine shape two years on.

Here she is with just the GM Pro 901 motor.

I used 13 gauge spokes with the Golden Motor and hit some pretty high speeds. No issues at all. After adding the extension, fairing etc., the combined weight of the trike and myself is over 300 lbs. So it has 12 gauge spokes now.

As always YMMV