Author Topic: axle spinning round wires  (Read 4216 times)

Offline Thomas K

• Confirmed
axle spinning round wires
« on: September 26, 2013, 04:56:33 AM »
hi guys,

i really have a big problem that I don't understand!
i have replaced my hall sensors a while ago, but now I have big trouble wit the axle spinning the wires round the axle.
I just don't get it! the axle can not spin when in my bike, stil it turns for about a quarter and pules the wires while there's a piece on the axle preventing it to turn on its own...
i really need assistane for i'm about to give up again...  :'(

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: axle spinning round wires
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:27:36 AM »

Hi Deffie,

From your description, it sounds as if your stator may have come detached from the steel insert that locates it onto the axle and transmits all the torque. This would allow the stator (and the controller assembly) to rotate around the axle under load.  :(

Take a look at this post for further details.

Alan

Offline Thomas K

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:48:27 PM »
Hi Alan!

thank you  for the answer!
that's whats wrong for sure!!!
i could not figure it out because I cant turn it manual, but the force of the motor spinning should do the trick for sure.
i was wondering, can I fix it by drilling small holes en securing the axle with small pens?
i think if I drill 4 holes that that should do the trick?
i want to use fixeerpennen (dont know the english name) but its lake a smal tube witch is cut open over the total lenght and its hardend so you can force it in an hole, and the tension (from it wanting to open again) would hold it in place.

any suggestions?

thanks for all answers

Thomas

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:54:46 AM »
I think you're describing what I call a roll pin.

I don't know how well they will stand up to the torque, but it's got to be worth a try. It might also be worth screwing some suitably sized self tapping screws into the centre of the pins for additional strength

It will be interesting to see how long the pinned stator will last before movement around the pins develops.

Please let us know how it goes, and try and include some photos if possible. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:51:59 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Thomas K

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
Hi Alan,

you are correct the Roll pin is what I'm going to try.
for using self tapping screws, i' think that they wont hold because of the hardened steel of the roll pin. I'm afraid that the screw would be damaged or worse that the head would break of.
i was thinking of using slangklemmen (again I don't know the english name for it) to put round the axle just to prvent the roll pins from getting out (with some glue to hold it extra).
i'm still searching for some more options, but will let you know how I fixed it (with foto's for others to see).
thanks again for your advice

here a photo from a slangklem, that I want to use.

Offline Thomas K

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 11:33:39 AM »
Hi Alan,

I fixed the wheel and axle wit the roll pins.
i think they will hold (used 6) an used some locktide to secure them extra.
now my other problem is that the hall sensors I just replaced are broken again.
i was wondering, can I get my bike riding without them? (must have PAS-system)
I 've worked on it so much lately that I'm kinda tired, and its not so easy to replace the hall sensors.

thanks for all answers,

Thomas

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:51:53 AM by Deffie »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
Hopefully those will stop the stator from moving, but do you think it still needs the hose clip (slangklemmen) strapped around the outside?

I don't know if pedelec works in sensorless mode or not, but you should find out if you try it.

Alan

Offline Thomas K

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 08:29:49 AM »
I just ordered new hall sensors, just to be sure.
so i'm gonna spend another evening on replacing them again.  :)
Hopefully it will be the last thing I need to do for an while to keep my mp3 running.
as for securing the stator to axle, yes I do believe it will work and I wont be using the hose clip anymore.
the stator did not always move, so  I believe the pins wont get as much fraction on them .
and  I used 6, and secured them with locktide so they wont move a bit.
but i'll keep you informed in case they do.
as for pedelec working on sensorless mode. I got a Lyen controller, and I don't thing I can put it in sersorless mode to try and find out if it will work with pedelec.
keep you informed about evolutions  ;)

best regards,
Thomas

and thanks again for your help!

Offline Thomas K

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 12:44:28 PM »
Hi there,

i got my bike working again!
one things a petty cause I broke my brand new lyen controller and had to go back to  stock controller. but now my bike is been working for about two weeks! this is by far the longest period my bike has ever worked.
an strange thing is that  now that I replaced the hall sensors again, I had to search for the right wirescombination. the wheel was spinning backwards at first with the wires connected as original. BUT! now that I found the right combination, the motor runs smoother than it ever did before. so I do think that the combination as never correct from the start! maybe that was the reason why my motor kept braking down in the first place.
I checked the pins I used to secure the axle, and they havent moved a bit after driving about 800KM (500miles) must say that i'm using the PAS sytem, and that I don't let the motor pick up fast so I got a smooth start.
in the state it is in now I can get about 36km/h at normal use an get to work with one load of the battery (32km) there I need to load the battery again because there's just not enough to get  back.
maybe i'll be getting a 48V 20A battery later on so I don't need to reload the battery at work (got the 48V 10A from GoldenMotor now).
further on I realy like my bike again. :-) so hopefully it will keep on working for a while now.

greetings,
Thomas