Author Topic: Twist Throttle Modification  (Read 8024 times)

Offline Dennyb123

• Confirmed
Twist Throttle Modification
« on: August 02, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »
I'm looking to modify the on/off button that's integrated into the twist throttle. I would like to make it a momentary on switch so that it can function as my cruise control button. This would eliminate the second set of buttons on the bars. I have a spare throttle to experiment with. I got it apart and modded the switch no problem. My problem is putting it back together again. Does anyone have a technique to reassemble the case on twist throttles?

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Twist Throttle Modification
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:36:09 AM »
One way is to get one of those electronic switches out of a cheap torch or toy and reverse engineer it to work off your switch.

Or you could build a flip flop switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I70H5xQ6MT0

Fun!!!!

Or

Those GM switches are easy to pull apart with a small jewelers Phillips head screw driver, remove the click switch from one switch and put it into the other.  It is one small screw and manage to push back a locking tab, and they come apart very easily.

You prolly get a click switch to put in there from Ebay or an electronics shop. 

BTW these switches also have a good water resistant covering inside.  They are very good switches for bad weather.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:37:55 AM by Les »

Bring it on

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 08:58:04 AM »
Well it's quite simple!

Just remove the spring in the switch, that's all.
Those switches are the almost the same, except the spring for click function:-).

Offline Dennyb123

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Modifying the actual switch isn't the issue. It's figuring out how to take apart and put back together the throttle assembly. Best I have come up with, is to cut the throttle housing around the switch with a dremel. Then simply glue it back together again over everythingis done.

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:12:20 AM »
Hello all.  Can the twist throttle be cut down to a half or even third of it's size ?

Waaayheeyy. My pie is in the post.

Gregor.   
having no practical effect or useful result is futile

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
It was not mentioned.

With the throttle off the handlebars press outward on the thumb lever and
push the clip inward (to the center of the handlebar hole.
The throttle lever and ring will pop up, and from there you can work your
way around the housing and remove the lever and spring.

Use a small Phillips screwdriver to remove the cover screw.

The cover must lift straight up off the case, it threads through some tight spaces.

Note the position of the hall sensor (little black pointy thing with three wires)
if you intend to disassemble it farther.

If you take apart the two button switch you may be able to put one of those in place
of the switch on the throttle, they are momentary closed switches.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 05:34:54 AM »
Gregor, Its a good idea to cut them down if you have a powerful bike.  Not too short as holding the accelerator is a pain.  I cut slippy washers out of junk so the twist don't rub on the grip end.

You can avoid this from happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9fQ2ewxHQg

Notice he couldnt let go?  Hmmm.  lol.  Well the half length twist grips end piece give your hand an anchor point that wont twist, our natural reaction in panic is to hold tight and not let go. If You grab and handle grip tight that has a stopper on the end interactivity , it stops the accelerator from moving. Problem solved forever.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:36:42 AM by Leslie »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 05:51:10 AM »
Sorry peeps for off topic.  But I want to add. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_M2RT_kYVY

It doesnt matter which way we are, we cant let go. 

So here we are on a 3,5kw electric bike,  how does any of this apply to us?  Well we walk our bikes in public, some of us can leave them switched on while walking them on the pavement..  And I even get my motor to help me, if a powerful bike throttle a was full length throttle, it would regularly flip when walking it switched on.

The Solution.

The ebike is not like a motor bike, it crosses some social boundaries motor bikes do not.  And watch out for motor bike riders, kids and the like, they test the throttle on ya, not thinking it's running, to them no sound no smoke no run.  Switch the bike off in public..

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:57:24 AM by Leslie »

Bring it on