Author Topic: Intentional solder bridge in cruise controller?  (Read 5054 times)

Offline Gurkelur

• Confirmed
Intentional solder bridge in cruise controller?
« on: June 30, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »
Hey, every one!

I got a little concern. I just opened up my 10A cruise controller for modding. The soldering on this thing is a bit messy, and there is a solder bridge between what I guess is a capacitor (C33) and a transistor. See pic. There is also a cap on my controller, C3, that seems like it's been pretty hot. See pic 2. Controller has been working OK, though, but I have no reference...

Does anybody know if this solder bridge is intentional or not? Is the brownish cap a concern?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Intentional solder bridge in cruise controller?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 10:57:34 PM »
I've just had a good look at one of my internal controllers and the soldered joints between the capacitor and the transistor doesn't appear to be bridged, but mine still has continuity between the two joints when checked with a meter, so I guess both joints are on a common track on the circuit board, therefore it won't really matter if they are bridged with solder:

Regarding the "brownish cap", here's the same section of the circuit board on my controller as a comparison:

Yours seems to have either a protective coating or perhaps some flux residue splattered around that area, but I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:38:56 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Gurkelur

• Confirmed
Re: Intentional solder bridge in cruise controller?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:18:13 AM »
No worries, then. Thank you very much, Alan.