Author Topic: Magic pie 3 internal controller wiring connecting to the motor  (Read 12028 times)

Offline nopetrol

• Confirmed
Hi, I have been sent a new internal controller (from suspected water damage on my old one).   The new controller looks different (perhaps new version).   Anyway, the new version has three spade connectors (left, middle and right) in clockwise 9 12 3 positions.   My pie 3 motor has blue, green and brown wires that must be connected to the 3 spade connectors   Which connects should I connect them too? 

Cannot attach picture, but will try later!

Thanks.

Nick

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie III internal controller wiring connecting to the motor
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »
Hi Nick,

It sounds like you may have been sent a Smart Pie controller instead of the MPIII controller if it has the flat blade terminals and looks like this:

I don't know if it is straightforward to fit the Smart Pie controller to the MPIII as I have never tried it, but it might even give you a bit more power if it can be fitted easily.

I suggest that you make sure the controller fits into the housing correctly, ensure that all the screws line up and also check that the cooling fan/disc mount still has adequate clearance before you waste too much time trying to attach the phase wires to the controller.

Here is a picture of the colour coding of the phase wires on the Smart Pie, which should hopefully be the same for the MPIII's phase wires too.

If the controller is unable to be fitted properly, you will need to exchange it for the correct one. ::)

Please let us know if it fits or not.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:07:49 PM by Bikemad »

Offline nopetrol

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:46:36 PM »
Hi Alan,

You are a lifesaver.  On the label of the new controller it saids mp3/sm.   I have quickly tried to fit the controller into the housing without attaching the wires and all looks good.  The smart controller looks more waterproof compared to the original controller where there was a big gap where water could enter my controller through the phase wires. 

Would you recommend 1) putting sealant around the cable or not bother due to moisture 2) thinking of soldering the wires directly onto the connectors and shrinking tape to protect them - Thoughts?

I will fit the unit this weekend and let you know the outcome.   I spend over 3 hours yesterday searching all forums to find the correct wiring,  so thanks again.   

Cheers

Nick
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:37:39 AM by nopetrol »

Offline nopetrol

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 09:36:56 AM »
I fitted the internal controller and it doesn't work.  When I press the accelerator switch the
 the wheel moves about 1cm and stops but I  can hear the motor.  Any suggestions.   The 3 led lights are on.    Thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 01:32:52 PM »
It sounds to me as if the phase sequence might be incorrect, but it is worth first checking that the hall sensor plug is fully inserted into the socket and that none of the female pins (?) have been pushed loose from the connector during fitting.

I'm wondering if the phase wire colours are in a different position on the MPIII compared to the Smart Pie.
If the way they are currently connected is wrong, there are five other possible ways to connect the phase wires to the controller.

Terminal:   (1)   (2)   (3)
Option 1     B     G     Y   (This should be the current position)
Option 2     B     Y     G
Option 3     G     Y     B
Option 4     G     B     Y
Option 5     Y     G     B <-- I would try this option first
Option 6     Y     B     G

I know it's going to be time consuming to try all of the other options out, but I would start by swapping the wires on terminals 1 and 3 first so that they are in the same position as they were on the MPIII controller.

Only test with 1/4 to 1/2 throttle maximum at first, as using full throttle with an incorrect phase sequence can sometimes overload the controller's MOSFETs.

The correct sequence should give a smooth running motor, if it sounds very harsh and struggles to turn the wheel, it is probably wrong. :(
To avoid any confusion, make sure you record each position that you try.

And don't forget to let us know which combination hopefully cures the problem.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 12:29:21 PM by Bikemad »

Offline nopetrol

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 12:42:19 PM »
It's Working  ;D

I tried all your options and no luck.  I then checked the hall sensor connections and voltage.  I re- sat the hall sensor and then tried option 5 and hey presto it worked.   Please note that your yellow was not present,  but I had a blue wire that I substituted for all the yellow options. 

Quick question, I read that someone had put vaseline as a waterproof method to limit water coming via the phase wire - would you recommend this?

Anyway, tomorrow I have a 40k round journey to work so will let you know how it goes.  So excites to get my mp3 back. 

Cheers

Nick

Offline nopetrol

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »
Got me to work fine.   Marginally slower out the box than old controller but can change that easily.  Very pleased.  Thanks Alan. 

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »

Set the peak and continuous amps to their maximum settings and see how much better it is. ;)

Alan

Offline nopetrol

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 12:39:19 AM »
The pie stopped working after around 120k.   Was riding home in the dry and it just stopped.  All internal wires in the pie are ok.  All pie settings are at default.   I guess it dead?  Have 3 led light up and battery at full power.   When I put gentle throttle I hear no motor notice but just silence.  Initially I hoped a spade connector had come but now I am stuck.  Any suggestions?   

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 03:59:16 AM »
Check your brake switches.  The symptoms match for the regen switch being actuated.  It happens to a lot of folks.

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline nopetrol

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 06:37:21 AM »
Thanks Dennis but no joy.

I have removed the regen brakes from the front Harness connectors and still not joy. 

Cheers

Nick
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:06:55 AM by nopetrol »