Author Topic: Motor for Wheelbarrow  (Read 11232 times)

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
Motor for Wheelbarrow
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:11:24 PM »
I've been looking at the HUB24E, and it seems that this wheel/motor would be the most suited to drive a wheelbarrow at walking speed. (Any other suggestions?)

But which controller do I choose?!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Motor for Wheelbarrow
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:37:54 AM »

This conversion is not quite as straightforward as it might at first appear.

If you are planning to use a geared motor, you are going to need reverse as well as forward speed control.
This could easily be accomplished by using a simple 500 Watt brushed motor speed controller combined with a thumb throttle for speed control, and a double pole double throw switch (or a push button operated DPDT relay) on the two motor leads to change direction.

Another problem will be making sure the outer diameter of the tyre is correct for the wheel barrow frame being used.
If the diameter is too small, the rear legs will be too close to the ground, making it very awkward to use, as you would need to bend your arms considerably to lift the handles high enough to give adequate ground clearance.
If the wheel is too large, you would end up stooping forward to reach the handles, which would not be very good for your back.

The HUB-24M has an electrically released brake which could be controlled by a simple brake lever switch on the left hand handle so the brake would automatically release as soon as you grabbed the handles and could not be re-applied until you release the lever.
If you were to lose your grip, and the handle accidentally slipped out of your hand, the safety brake would be instantly applied.

Alan

Offline OzGeeksGarage

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:01:03 AM »
You probably could pack a smaller wheels axle downwards an inch or 2 with spacers if necessary to level the wheel barrow, maybe up if for a larger wheel if you have clearance. Sounds like a damn interesting idea anyways, it's a wonder they aren't everywhere on worksites.
Please excuse my crappy typing, I'm partially blind

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 06:25:21 AM »
I was planning on mounting two trolley wheels with air tyres on the rear legs, so a front wheel that is a bit larger than original would only be an advantage. :) v (as long as there's room for it; I haven't checked...) Besides, standard wheel barrows are designed for people that are 10-15cm shorter than me. (I'm 185cm...)

I can't find the HUB24 'M' model on GM's pages? (There's an A, E, T and S though...)

Anyway, which controller to use? I'm thinking a thumb throttle would be practical for speed control.

Edit;
There's commercial E-wheel barrows on the market, but they're expensive ($1400 up). Though, there's a smart guy here in Norway which have had the same idea as me, which have had wheels made for him in China; he sells standard wheel barrows with motor/controller/battery for $650...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:31:02 AM by Cornelius »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 03:07:58 PM »
I can't find the HUB24 'M' model on GM's pages? (There's an A, E, T and S though...)

It might be worth sending an email to Philip (sales@goldenmotor.com) and ask him if they have any of those particular motors in stock, and if so, how much it would cost with shipping. ;)

Anyway, which controller to use? I'm thinking a thumb throttle would be practical for speed control.

I couldn't find much in the way of 500W 24V controllers for brushed motors, the higher wattage controllers all seem to be  for 36V or more, but I did come across this on eBay:

PWM DC 20V-72V 30A 1200W pulse width Motor Speed Adjuster Controller 24V 36V 48V

But I don't know whether the hall sensor thumb throttle will work with it unless it uses 5V across the potentiometer.

It has a good range of battery voltages but you might want to consider some sort of low voltage cut-off or monitoring device if you are using a battery without any built in protection.

You should have ample torque with 25Amps @ 24V (600W).

Alan

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 06:01:30 PM »
It might be worth sending an email to Philip (sales@goldenmotor.com) and ask him if they have any of those particular motors in stock, and if so, how much it would cost with shipping.

I did.
At least; I asked them which controller to use:
We have 24V brush controller for this hub motor. The price is USD35 each controller.

Thanks,
Philip

Not too informative, are they? ;D
Now I have to email them and ask how I can order this controller and pay with paypal, together with the motor... :)

Offline DeVi-Comfort

• Authorised Dealer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »
Have you checked the webshop www.devi-motion.com/webshop/conversion-kit/p-1/D1000199--e-barrow-conversion-kit.html.

Here you can order a complete conversion kit to convert your wheelbarrow into an electric one for less than € 300,--.
Maybe that is easier than sort out all parts yourself!