Author Topic: Mount Infineon/Kelly controller inside MagicPie III?  (Read 5395 times)

Offline vespa

• Confirmed
Mount Infineon/Kelly controller inside MagicPie III?
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:26:31 PM »
I'm looking to build my first e-Bike around an MP3 and knowing me, I'll want a bit more power than the MP3 controller allows/withstands but I'd like to keep things clean and light.  People seem to have great results with the MP3 on 70V-100V using Lyen/Infineon or Kelly controllers so I'm wondering if it's possible to mount one inside the cavernous MP3 stator like the MP2 once had?  Sure serviceability is greatly compromised but it seems like it would make a pretty slick setup.  Am I crazy?

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
Re: Mount Infineon/Kelly controller inside MagicPie III?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:26:31 AM »
It might not be very fun to destroy your first e-bike, but I urge you to try it. If you can't get the controller to fit you just have to rebuild it the way it was and mount it as an external controller. Your main problem is going to find a controller that is small enough and still able to give more power than the internal MP3 controller. They have managed to squeeze a lot of power out of a very tiny package, 30 amps from a 6 fet controller.

According to Edward Lyen you can get 60 amps out of his 9 Fet controllers without adding much heat if you modify it correctly, but I don't trust him much after dealing with him.
Disclaimer: I know nothing.
My ebike Build blog

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 08:57:10 AM »
What was the issue with Lyen?
Luckily I went for Kelly...no regret.... 8)

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:23:16 AM »
Well, Lyen guarantied me when I ordered the controller that the CA plug was compatible with the new CA3 and without a diode on the throttle signal. This was a lie, I had to modify the port to work with the CA3. I also told him to give me a accurate measurement of the shunt so that the CA shows real data and not just garbage (this is something cell-man do without asking), I got nice and round 2mohm value printed on the box in return. That value was of course not accurate and shows a current draw that is very wrong and total garbage. He is also marketing his controllers as limited edition, but when the last one is sold the limited number of units magically goes up.
And just for the fun of it, it's not working today. Its too early to blame the controller, but it looks like it might be.

EDIT: Managed to fix the controller by reprogramming it. At first it didn't want to respond to programming, but I kept insisting and it gave after in the end. I hope it doesn't prove to be unreliable.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:23:27 AM by Lollandster »
My ebike Build blog

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 11:16:35 AM »
Hmmm sounds not good.

What controller are you running now with the Magic Pie 3 or Smart.....?

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 12:03:20 PM »
Hmmm sounds not good.

What controller are you running now with the Magic Pie III or Smart.....?
SmartPie with 9fet lyen controller, the internal one is blown. I also have a friend with the MPIII and a 18Fet cell-man controller (60 amps) but it's not connected up yet.

I suspect the problem I just had with the controller was my own fault, last I used the controller was on 80v and I can't remember if I also played with the LVC (you can't read the settings only write new ones). It doesn't explain the reprogramming issue, but I'm still new with it.
My ebike Build blog

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 05:29:36 PM »
Aaha thanks for your info.

Yes I don't trust internal controllers anymore.

Waauuww 18 FET and what voltage will he using?