Author Topic: Need a new charger for GM battery  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Deville

• Confirmed
Need a new charger for GM battery
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:18:06 PM »
Hey guys,

I did a few searches here and didn't come up with much so please forgive me if I missed this info if it has been asked before.

I have a 36V GM battery and the stock 2amp charger that came with it. Although this works fine, it takes to long as I like to ride a few times a day and the 3.5 - 4.5 hour charge times really kill some good riding time.

So a couple questions...

- Whats the max charging amps my battery can handle? ( 36v 12ah lifepo4 ) most the chargers I seen are max 5 amps, but is there a bigger / faster one I could use?

- Is there a large 5 amp + charger that could universally charge a 36v and a 48v lifepo4? "Not at the same time" or would I need to buy 2 5amp+ chargers for each battery?

I'm planning to either buy a complete, or build a 48v for extended range and use both batts on really long trips and Guerrilla charge on the road when needed so one charger that could do both quickly would be fantastic.

- And finally, can anyone suggest a 5amp+ charger that will just plug into my pack like the stock GM charger? Most the chargers I looked at have a different style charge connector then GM. I know I can just splice and solder the proper end on but it would be nice to not have to.

Thanks!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Need a new charger for GM battery
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 12:01:28 AM »
The individual cells have a maximum charge rating of 2C, which means a 12Ah cell can accept being charged with a current of up to 24Amps maximum.  :o

Although the cells can accept this amount of current, the BMS (and perhaps the charger connector too) may not be able to handle such a high current on the charging circuit.

I think you are unlikely to find a charger to cater for 36V and 48V, but you could use a variable bench power supply that can be adjusted to the precise voltage and current settings, but it's not cheap, and probably too big and heavy for on the road charging. ;)

I had a quick look and found this 36V 43.8V 5A LiFePo4 Battery Charger on eBay, but I don't know if the connector is correct for the GM battery.

Alan