Author Topic: Magic Pie III Speedometer connector  (Read 8916 times)

Offline nopap

• Confirmed
Magic Pie III Speedometer connector
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:39:03 AM »
Hi,
I just installed a Magic Pie III on my tadpole trike, and I'm quite happy about it.

I'd like to know what signal we get on the 'speedometer display connector' which is available on the kit (see picture below).
Is it a classic 'on/off' signal for each wheel turn or is it something related to the engine hall sensor and requiring a specific speedo display (does GM provides such a speedo ?)

Thanks for your help
Emmanuel.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:32:53 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie III Speedometer connector
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 12:24:58 PM »
Hi Emmanuel andto the forum.

On the two MPIII harnesses that I checked out, the so called "Speedometer Display connector" has only two wires actually connected from the five pin socket, and those are connected to battery + and battery -.

Check out the following diagram for more details:

Unless GM have changed (or intend to change) the wiring, I don't really see the point of fitting this connector.
From my point of view, it would have been more logical to have a speedometer connector on the front control harness, instead of the wheel harness. ::)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:48:19 PM by Bikemad »

Offline nopap

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie III Speedometer connector
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:11:46 PM »
Thanks Alan for the info and the wiring pic, it's a great help.

For info, I have a Speedict bluetooth device which should allow to control various things, including using the PAS in EU mode (25km/h max) whenever I like to, and switch back with a simple click on my android smartphone.
Seems perfect on the paper, so I'm investigating various options to connect everything together.

By the way, what's the name of these round connectors ?

Cheers,
Emmanuel.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:32:13 PM by nopap »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie III connectors
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 01:00:52 AM »
By the way, what's the name of these round connectors ?

I don't know what those connectors are called or where you can get them from, but it would be very handy to have some extra plugs and sockets for wiring additional options into the existing harness without cutting into the standard cables.

Perhaps Henry can find out some more information on the new style MPIII connectors?

I'm thinking about making a cruise control that can adjust the cruise speed with push buttons, a bit like the Crystalyte one:

I've ordered a couple of chips (digital 10k potentiometers) and I'm waiting to see if I can use them to override the throttle signal voltage to produce a variable cruise control which I'm hoping will work in conjunction with the throttle, and I'm hoping to incorporate a set and resume function too. ;D

The first chip I found seemed absolutely ideal, until I looked at the dimensions on the datasheet; 2mm x 2mm x 0.5mm with 8 connections. I wouldn't be able to see the connections, let alone solder wires to them. Unfortunately, these surface mount devices are simply far too small for me to experiment with. ::)

I'll hopefully post some more details when (and if) I can get it to work.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:35:44 AM by Bikemad »