Author Topic: MPIII motor problem  (Read 3893 times)

Offline N43122

• Confirmed
MPIII motor problem
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:43:38 AM »
After having purchased a MPIII kit from GM.ca last month for one of my bikes and having great fun with it I decided to buy another about 2 weeks ago for my other bike.  It arrived over the weekend and I installed it today.

I am powering the system with a 37v (nominal) 10ah Lipo pack. When I press the thumb throttle sometimes the wheel will start sometimes not.  When it does start it makes a sound that has a frequency directly proportional to the wheel RPM and the wheel seems to only go at less than full speed.  When the wheel will not start I can get it to start by manually rotating the wheel a partial turn and then it catches and begins to spin, albeit making the same noise.

Additionally regen brakes are inop. When brake lever switch is activated the wheel continues to coast.

It seems to me one or more of the Hall sensors, sensor wires, or sensor circuit in the ESC has an issue. I should have prefaced this message by saying I am very familiar with brushless motor systems (sensored and sensorless).  My company designs and manufactures triaxial camera gimbals for unmanned aircraft that are powered by brushless motors. I work with them daily. I don't want to open the motor and look for obvious problems for fear of voiding any warranties. 

Any thoughts?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MPIII motor problem
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:52:15 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

I think you will need to contact Gary to obtain the OK to remove the controller and check the hall sensor plug contacts:

If the metal sockets have not been fully inserted fully into the plastic plug housing, it's possible that one of the sockets may have been pushed out of the plug instead of mating correctly with the pin on the controller socket when the plug was inserted during assembly.

If the metal connections are all clipped in correctly, it could be difficult to determine whether it's a faulty hall sensor or the controller itself that is causing the problem.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:30:03 PM by Bikemad »

Offline N43122

• Confirmed
Re: MPIII motor problem
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:45:41 AM »
Happy to report that after testing the motor and controller and having determined a probable cause, Gary is shipping me a new motor.