Author Topic: Regen braking motor issue  (Read 2848 times)

Offline SydneyCommuter

• Confirmed
Regen braking motor issue
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:38:14 AM »
Guys has anyone experiences this?
I have dual pi2 with 2 48v gm's in parrallel.
20ks into my commute there's a filthy steep hill that I go down then have a hard right blind corner into a narrow bike track so have to slow my heavy beast down from 40/50ks to about 10ks on very steep downhill.  Normaly no probs with regen on 75rear 25 front doing most of the slowing.
A couple of weeks ago I had a nasty fault, the rear wheel nearly locked up near the bottom of this pull up section. After I slowed up, luckily it was dry so traction ok I didn't fully lock up.
At first I thought it might be the bearings but after checking it closer it was related to the electrical function appeared the motor was totally resisting to the max but not under propper control. The fault continued after the brake was released, I had front motor working ok but rear still giving this rough high lock.
After I switched the batteries off and back on, it went back to normal it's been ok since except once on a similar steep hill pull up earlier in my ride home I thought I felt similar issue kicking in but pulsed the brake on/off which seemed t reset things and it didn't, continue.
Otherwise I have had relatively trouble free run since going the external controllers and over many hundreds of kms.
Cheers mark

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Regen braking motor issue
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »
Guys has anyone experiences this?

After I switched the batteries off and back on, it went back to normal it's been ok since except once on a similar steep hill pull up earlier in my ride home I thought I felt similar issue kicking in but pulsed the brake on/off which seemed t reset things and it didn't, continue.

Smart thinking.  No this has not happened to me yet, but, have you got the external controller?.  Just the same I would check the wires going into the motor and see if the have lost their insulation and are not shorting out a little.

the brake switch can get stuck, If you have clamp brakes, the screws you use to adjust them to centre , I do both as tight as they go while still being able to manage centre. This will increase the spring tension and insure the brake levers are being pulled back into full position.

Check all your cable connections.

After reading your post more, I sense this controller has a dark future.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:17:13 AM by Les »

Bring it on

Offline SydneyCommuter

• Confirmed
Re: Regen braking motor issue
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »
Thanks Les.
I will chech the cabling, but 2thoughts. If the cables were shorting I'd expect to loose power not over power the motor. Also the brakes were definitely off, as the front motor powered back up ok but the rear stayed stuck. But that said until I work out what happened I won't discount any ideas yet. I guess I figured it's a control/power related issue as the motor was under considerable load and the rear coincidentally has higher regen setting.
Unless this relates to a hall sensor failure, but I thought that just prevented the start from stationary?
Cheers