Author Topic: lateral free movement 2mm of Magic Pie - is this normal?  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Sanfrancisco

• Confirmed
lateral free movement 2mm of Magic Pie - is this normal?
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »
Hello,
I recently got one of the few lucky ones to have Magic Pie III shipped to me. Since I never had earlier versions, I am a bit worried as my pie moves about 1-2mm in the lateral direction. Would anyone experience this with older pies?
If this is something that needs to be tightened, how would I do that?

The new Magic Pie on a 29er rear wheel gives me around 27 mi/h at full throttle with the factory set up for 48V. Quite fun but the start is slow.

powertothee.com

Re: lateral free movement 2mm of Magic Pie - is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:45:15 AM »
Most likely your wheel spokes are tighter on one side of the wheel than the other and it's warping the dual rim wheel.  Take it to your local bike shop and have then true the wheel for you and that should eliminate the problem.  Hope that helps!

Offline Sanfrancisco

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 04:54:10 AM »
Thank you. I checked though the wheel is trued. It is the whole wheel that can move a bit in the perpendicular direction, sort of like a usual bicycle wheel whose bearings are not tightened.

powertothee.com

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 06:13:25 AM »
Hmmm.....I've taken apart my share of MPs and the axle is a solid as they come.  Perhaps measurements to the outer rim from the axle will help you identify the location of the "bump".  Then you can measure the spoke or put the wheel on a truing stand to identify the issue.  The spokes alternate between left and right side of the wheel to balance horizontally.  However, if all spokes in an area of the wheel is too tight, it will warp the wheel on the opposite side causing what feels like a oval wheel.  Let me know once you figure it out as I'd love to hear what the actual cause was.  Good luck!

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »
It could also be a bad bearing?
Take a Very good look where the axle goes into the motor on each side while you're wiggling the rim. Any movement there would indicate a bad bearing...

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 11:23:08 PM »
Are you saying you can move the axle in and out of the hub?  That would point to the bearings.

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Sanfrancisco

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 03:21:19 AM »
Thank you all for your comments. It helped me a  lot. I finally took Magic Pie 3 apart and determined that there was a bit of play between the stator and the big bearing. So I used the red thread lock sealant and I was able to get the lateral movement to the minimum. However now I am facing a bit of a different problem. I cannot get the coils not rub the magnets. The rubbing is not bad but I can image it is not healthy in the long run for the motor.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »
Make sure the sides are centred and snap tight and bolted properly?

Undo break side seals and reseat.? 

Check for a loose screws, washers or random crap inside motor?  (Happened to me. washer)

Check for rogue stator coil former/s spread apart and you missed it..

If problem continues, maybe try some sand paper around the stator until it stops rubbing, not don't sand magnets.  watch spreading the Coil formers and keep the dust out of the coils.  Sand wipe and blow, keep it clean.

Give it a good wipe out before resealing and check magnets for chips and flecks of magnet.

When the MP is apart Magnets are great at sucking stuff up with out the user knowing.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:27:50 AM by spellchecker »

Bring it on