Author Topic: Multiple batteries etc  (Read 5301 times)

Offline Stu

• Confirmed
Multiple batteries etc
« on: November 20, 2011, 07:11:05 PM »
I bought an E-bike (Izip via rapido) on clearance on a whim for 699.97 from Costco. My car was dying and I recycled it for 300.00 and needed a new bike. It has exceeded my expectations and is a blast to ride. I had no idea ebikes were so cool. I never even recognized ebikes and always thought those battery cases were lock boxes. It has been six months and I am glad I did not drop 16000.00 on a new car considering I pretty much live my life in a 10 block radius give or take. But there are times I wan't more distance/power.

Simple put how hard is it to add multiple batteries to a single motor to increase the size of the "gas tank" without needing a electrical engineering degree. I cannot really find too much info on this and it seems to be one of the caveat's with ebikes. I don't "know" what my needs are but I want "More power", preferably enough to get me to the moon and back on one charge. Is there a general consensus on geared vs non among the pro's out there. I ask this because mine is geared and have no experience with non geared other than what I have read. To put it differently are geared for newbies?. 

First post hope it lands in the right place. Thanks, Stu.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Multiple batteries etc
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 11:59:36 PM »
Hi Stu, Welcome to the forum.

I use multiple batteries on a regular basis. Here is a Link to how I carry one, two or even three batteries on my rear rack.

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=4060.0

Here is a picture with three batteries on my current ride.

It a pretty simple process to wire up. all the red wires together and all the black together.

Gary

Offline Stu

• Confirmed
Re: Multiple batteries etc
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »
Thanks. For some reason It did not dawn on me until I was plugging my bike in today that you don't charge the battery from the same terminals as the output. Just so hard not to want "more", especially after seeing all the pictures you keep posting. I think I will "K.I.S.S" for my first upgrade and just get the biggest aluminum rack battery I can. I have a 24 volt geared with a 24 volt 10AH battery(From elsewhere)that I run full throttle so going to one of the new kits when available will blow it away I am guessing.