Author Topic: Throttle not activating on take-off  (Read 5627 times)

Offline REV Bikes

• Confirmed
Throttle not activating on take-off
« on: August 04, 2011, 02:04:21 AM »
Does anyone know what might be wrong if the throttle is not striking on the first squeeze on take-off?
The guy said he has checked the connections, and the throttle always works fine once he is moving, but it often won't help him take off.
Sometimes it will work on the second attempt, but hardly ever on the first attempt.
It was working fine for the first month, then this problem started.
He has a ProKit 902, with a thumb throttle.
Would appreciate any ideas I can pass onto him.
Thanks   :)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Throttle not activating on take-off
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 02:29:48 AM »
Does anyone know what might be wrong if the throttle is not striking on the first squeeze on take-off?
The guy said he has checked the connections, and the throttle always works fine once he is moving, but it often won't help him take off.
Sometimes it will work on the second attempt, but hardly ever on the first attempt.
It was working fine for the first month, then this problem started.
He has a ProKit 902, with a thumb throttle.
Would appreciate any ideas I can pass onto him.
Thanks   :)

My guess is hall sensors, lets see what the experts say.

Gary

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: Throttle not activating on take-off
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 07:40:41 AM »
Yup, exactly how mine was behaving in sensorless mode

if you disconnect the hall sensors, then it should behave the same way with no change, that will prove it :)

after that, its just finding out whether its one or all sensors not working

Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Hall sensors?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »
As the ProKit 902 is a geared minimotor, I'm surprised it works at all if the hall sensors have failed. The minimotors don't usually work in sensorless mode, because the freewheel device (unidirectional clutch) inside the hub prevents the motor from being turned by the wheel.

In sensorless mode, the motor has to be turning before the controller can detect the position of the poles to start assisting, but this is not a problem for the direct drive ProKit 901 or Magic Pies.

I would suggest a close inspection of the terminals on the battery plug and battery to check for a decent connection, it may just be that the vibration of the bikes movement is enabling the poor contacts to make a reasonable connection.

Check to see if the battery indicator lights on the throttle go out when the fault is there.

If it's not that, check the voltage reading between the Z/0V connection and the T2 connection on the controller, this should vary between ~0.8V and ~4.5V when the throttle is operated.

If however, it's a ProKit 901 (not a minimotor), I would say it's most likely to be a hall sensor problem too.

Take a look at this post and this video for more details on testing the operation of the hall sensors.
Please note that the minimotors need to be turned very slowly in a reverse direction when checking for variation of the hall sensors' signal voltage.

There's also some more useful information here.

Let us know what you find.

Alan