Author Topic: rotophobia  (Read 6803 times)

Offline Lanchon

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
rotophobia
« on: September 09, 2008, 07:54:16 AM »
rotophobia: an unusual and persistent fear of axis spins. a condition commonly displayed by sufferers of post spin syndrome.

well, I hear most spins result in an uninjured driver proudly owning a dead motor. I see those hefty torque bars and all the trouble some users go through to be safe from spins and I wonder if a simple cure for rotophobia was ever discussed. for example something like this:

add a "slotted" plastic disc to the axis and a second nut. the disk has two small holes in the periphery with a 90 degrees molex-type single pin male connector in each one of them. the pins rotate freely in their holes. a soldered wire connects both pins on the opposite side of the disk.

a dual pole wire ending in two female single pin molex connectors is attached to the fork with just enough loose wire to reach the two males in the disc. if the disc spins a few degrees in either direction the circuit will open.

finally you wire the spin "sensor" to the controller in such a way that power stops when the circuit is opened (through the break switch or throttle inputs).

something like this discussed before?

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: rotophobia
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 03:10:48 AM »
I have done allot of reading here and on the ES and seen no mention of such a thing.  It is a very good idea for someone wanting to test axle anti-spin devices though.  ;^) Me I don't want to test things as they can get spendy fast so would prefer no damage at all.   One torque bar for 36volts and two for more than that is going to be my standard procedure
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:01:48 PM by biohazardman »

Offline Lanchon

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 04:11:14 AM »
thanks. I didn't mean it as a torque bar replacement though, but as an orthogonal protection measure.

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 07:50:15 AM »
I wanted as light as possible, so instead of locking arms,
I made something to prevent the nut from turning.

I bought a metal nibbling tool
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97636

I took a chunk of scrap aluminum and drilled, then cut a hole the
size of the 15/16 nut.  Then I cut out the scrap with room for
a screw hole.   Once I had the nuts torqued, I marked and drilled
a hole through the fender screw hole in the fork.
I drilled several holes so that I could line up the screws if the nut
were in a different position.

I repeated the process for the wired side, but cut an extra slot for the wires
to go through.

Now the nuts just can't come loose.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »
My ebike was attacked one night when my wife was shopping with it. Someone had unbolted the front and rear wheels and undid the handle bars, they also unscrewed the brake lever pin till it was almost falling out.  Weird hey..

We discovered it was attacked outside the supermarket.  Funny thing is she loaded it up and was carry quite a bit of weight.  She managed to get 2kms down the road when the gear changer slid off the axle. 
She called me complaing the bike was screwed to ride and was like what the hell is going on and blamed me for not putting it together properly...

This was a rear hub on an alloy frame, both bolts were undone and one almost till it was falling off. both bolts on the fron wheel and the handle bars as well NOT ME NO WAY...

That said I was amazed the axel didnt spin out... 

Does this happen on rear hubs or more to front hubs?

Bring it on

Offline Mel in HI

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 11:47:36 PM »
It's pretty bad that you seem to have to put a 'car alarm' on your bike.  Hey, why not, you already have the battery there, so just need a sensor to tell when the bike has been touched. 

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 02:31:27 AM »
It's pretty bad that you seem to have to put a 'car alarm' on your bike.  Hey, why not, you already have the battery there, so just need a sensor to tell when the bike has been touched. 

Agreed.  People think its just a bike.

Here is another thing that happened that seems to keep niggling me.

I rode to the electronics store JayCar, as this is my fave shop and I had the trailer on it.  There was a good 45 deg parking spot right outside the store and Im "like" im one of their good customers so I think I deserve a spot.  The trailer, bike together is the length of a small car .  I get talking to the store manager and look outside.  Some moron had moved my bike out of the spot and cramed it in between the car and the gutter and put the trailer in some whacked postion to fit his car in it. I had to pick both my bike up and lift it up over the gutter and the trailer to get it out...

The guy sitting in the car next to all this waiting saw this guy struggling to move it as it is sort of on the lead heavy side and told me he almost dropped it trying to move it.

What gives?

Im investing in an electric fence high voltage unit and install a infra red remote relay place a big on the bike... Touch my bike douch and get fried.\

Good enough for stupid cows I think, maybe some humans are not that smart...

Bring it on