Author Topic: Need Throttle Replacement! Help!  (Read 5890 times)

Offline JonMcClain

Need Throttle Replacement! Help!
« on: September 07, 2008, 11:41:35 PM »
Help!

Well, I'm into week two with a Near DOA bike kit from GM.  I ordered and quickly received a 48v Rear Hub Motor Kit w/ thumb controller and 48v regen controller.  I installed the kit with only minor setbacks and the unit performed well for less than mile around the neighborhood.  The it began to cut out, then run for a matter of yards, cut out again.  After several more of these cycles (in less than a block or two)  the bike was ADOA (almost DOA).  Checked all connections and voltage of power supply, checked the brake switches, etc but nothing worked.  I'm assuming that the controller is bad.  Sent Phil a memo over a week ago, but have received NO reply. In desperation, I ordered a new 48v Regen Controller and received the standard 5-10 day delivery window. 

I took apart the thumb throttle to check the function of the built in kill switch (I'm assuming that this is the function of the Red latching pushbutton switch on the throttle.)  When I pulled the thing apart the spring flew away to parts unknown.  Now I need a new throttle but don't want to deal with GM anymore!  Can anyone recommend a thumb throttle that will work and a source?   

WARNING!  DEALING DIRECTLY WITH GOLDEN MOTORS IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!

Communication is atrocious!  The only way to get a return email is to buy something!  ( I have a notion that even then the answers are auto-generated!   

Offline PaintingLoft.com

• Confirmed
    • my flickr page
Re: Need Throttle Replacement! Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 02:20:37 AM »
just out of curiosity:  when you tried to reach GM did you reply to an old email or email them directly form their site?  I got a quick response when I emailed them instead of a reply.  I don't know if it was a coincidence or not.

good luck. I've had the same problem.

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 07:55:37 AM »

i have had good luck getting answers from GM.

I use short sentenses.

I use one topic in a sentense.

I do not use adjectives.

I name the product exactly.

The advice came from instructables.com on buying from China.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:44:35 PM »
Any standard Hall effect 0 to 5volt full length, half length twist grip or thumb throttle should do fine... Just get the wires right...

Bring it on

Offline Nicobie

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 01:31:19 AM »
PM sent Jon

1 swift turtle

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 02:59:32 AM »
crystalyte and wilderness energy throttles will work even the 36volt will work on the 48.but get the wires right.good luck try the poweridestore...