Author Topic: Dead cell in GM LiFePO4 Pack  (Read 11344 times)

Offline scottysoftness

Dead cell in GM LiFePO4 Pack
« on: September 03, 2008, 09:46:20 PM »
I got my pack from GM and it seemed to work OK.  I was a bit disappointed in its performance, as I expected to get more distance before it started cutting out, but knowing nothing about these bikes I figured that was normal.  Then I had my more technically inclined friend look at the battery, and he quickly told me that one of the cells is dead (it only charges to about 0.9v, and loses that within seconds of disconnecting the charger).

I have emailed GM about this, but I have not received any reply so far.  Has anyone else had any luck in this regard?  If not, is there someone else I could buy a single LiFePO4 cell from?

Offline sigpaw

Re: Dead cell in GM LiFePO4 Pack
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 03:32:07 AM »
I have TWO of their 36v packs. BOTH of them have had a cell die. Then each pack opened up respectively. It's been weeks and NO replacement. At least three other folks (not counting you and I) have had the same problems.

We need to start a "Buyer Beware" thread and keep it at the top of the list by constantly replying to it. Until they address our problems!!!!

What does everyone else think?

These packs are REAL TRASH! BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Offline redbike

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 06:56:56 AM »
Yep - I concur with that. I would not recommend them to anyone. Also I think the controllers are a bit dodgy as well. I really hope the motors are OK!

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 05:10:41 AM »
Phllip is often a bit slow on the e-mail so be patient.  Many problems with the new batteries also may slow things down a  bit more.  Good luck and keep after him.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 05:21:33 AM by biohazardman »

Offline scottysoftness

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 04:44:26 PM »
They claim they just got them in (I've heard that before...) and I should get it next week. We'll see.

Offline sigpaw

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 12:58:20 AM »
Yup, they told me they had finally received some replacement cells. But that was a week ago, and still nothing... :(

Offline algub

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 04:27:03 PM »
hi friends,
I have the same problem with my akku from GM golden motor
36 V 16Ah: I loose approx 30 percent capacity after 15 partial loads.

I think there are dead cells. I opened the akku (it is not a problem) but
the cells are connected in blocks and spot-welded and assembled in plastic frames.
I do not know how I can separate it to check the single cell.

Is there somebody who can help me??

Many thanks in advance

algub Germany

Offline algub

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 04:26:54 PM »
hi friends,
36 V 16Ah: I lost approx 30 percent capacity after 15 partial loads.

the cells are connected in blocks and spot-welded and assembled in plastic frames.

Is there somebody who can help??

Many thanks in advance

algub Germany

Offline Gregte

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 07:14:47 PM »
hi friends,
36 V 16Ah: I loose approx 30 percent capacity after 15 partial loads.

Is there somebody who can help me??

Many thanks in advance

algub Germany

The best you can do if you do not want to cut the welded tabs is to put a load on the battery and measure the individual paralleled cell blocks. These blocks are of course all wired in series.

For a load you can use regular incandescent light bulbs. If you use a 200 watt light bulb it will draw much more than 200 watts because it will not reach its full brightness and heat because the battery voltage is much lower than the 230 volt house voltage the light bulbs were made for. Whenever a resistance such as a light bulb is cooler than its normal operating temperature it will have much less resistance and provide a much higher load.

Offline bopa

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 04:19:26 AM »
I got my pack from GM and it seemed to work OK.  I was a bit disappointed in its performance, as I expected to get more distance before it started cutting out, but knowing nothing about these bikes I figured that was normal.  Then I had my more technically inclined friend look at the battery, and he quickly told me that one of the cells is dead (it only charges to about 0.9v, and loses that within seconds of disconnecting the charger).

I have emailed GM about this, but I have not received any reply so far.  Has anyone else had any luck in this regard?  If not, is there someone else I could buy a single LiFePO4 cell from?

Looks like these problems are persistent - both the dead cells and the slow reply. I emailed twice in the last two weeks about a bad key switch on the 12ah Li batt and have so far heard nothing. Now one or more cells seems to have failed. I emailed about that today and will post an update in a week about the reply. Who else has recently had dead cells in a new (six-week-old) pack?

Bopa

Offline zpeter

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 02:01:01 PM »
Hi,

I have the same problem, two cells dead in my lifepo4 36V/10Ah. No response for two weeks now. Anyone knows some other supplier of batteries?
/Peter
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 04:08:37 PM by Bikemad »