Author Topic: MagicPie speed increase  (Read 5355 times)

Offline maximumfly

MagicPie speed increase
« on: June 17, 2011, 08:15:55 AM »
Hi guys!
Recently I built my folding e-bike with GoldenMotor Magicpie.
You can look on it here http://youtu.be/Kd4aAuEtPhI .
But I have a problem with maximum speed.
Real maximum speed with me on flat road near 26-27 km/h (unload motor speed 30 km/h).
Probably, It's look like program limit.
I'm using 36V 16AH GoldenMotor battery.

Any way to speed up this motor without buying new battery (it's very expensive)?
Is it possible to firmware update for spinning faster ?
Or increasing voltage is only one way to speed up ?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MagicPie speed increase
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:40:33 AM »
Hey buddy

Nice ride!!! looks like my bike when I take off haha

I use both front and rear of this motor with the GM 48v battery. Fully charged its 54V and this yields around 40km/h probably more like 37/38 with just running 1 motor and standard other wheel.

Unfortunately the only way you will get a greater top speed is by upgrading your battery to a 48v considering you are using the internal controller.

I would not suggest going faster than 30km/h on your bike anyway as those types are really only designed for 20-30km/h but you have a nice helmet should anything go wrong! :D

What you have is probably perfect for the build type, and you will have better range with your battery (16Ah) too. But if you really want that extra max 10km/h more you will have to upgrade your battery....

Offline maximumfly

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:54:21 AM »
Hi MonkeyMagic!

Thanks for reply.
Your bike (on avatar) is incredible !
I want one  :)

Do You use internal controllers ?
I found that Kelly controllers has "High Speed Firmware" options: http://Kellycontroller.com/kbs48051e30a24-48v-mini-brushless-dc-controller-p-751.html
Can it helps me to increase speed without increase voltage, what do You think ?

Offline maximumfly

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 09:00:05 AM »
Also one question about regen braking.

I measured that motor really put power to battery when regen braking.
Charging current goes to output battery port, but not charging port.
Is it safe for battery ?

jensenff

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 06:25:47 AM »
I've disabled / reduced to minimum regen braking.  I've measured 15A regen current when at 100%, so the charge potential is there.  But regen does not match/fit lifepo batteries;  The battery BMS could cutoff charging of the battery during regen. Same effect as disconnecting the battery while riding.
Forum - histories tell this is no-good;  not good for the controller resulting in controller failure.

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 06:39:41 AM »
The infineon controllers, including the Kelly controllers have a speed increase option of 120%...on my 26 pie this gave me real world increase of about 5MPH
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline maximumfly

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »
I've disabled / reduced to minimum regen braking.  I've measured 15A regen current when at 100%, so the charge potential is there.  But regen does not match/fit lifepo batteries;  The battery BMS could cutoff charging of the battery during regen. Same effect as disconnecting the battery while riding.
Forum - histories tell this is no-good;  not good for the controller resulting in controller failure.

Thanks.

Offline maximumfly

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 07:25:59 PM »
The infineon controllers, including the Kelly controllers have a speed increase option of 120%...on my 26 pie this gave me real world increase of about 5MPH
Thanks, it's info very helpful for me, because i'm planning to change internal controller to external one.