Author Topic: Magic Pie Controllers seem to be Factory Limited to 15A now....?  (Read 8152 times)

Offline rossasaurus

• Confirmed
We've been seeing a (frustrating) pattern with MP's the last week or so.
We installed a new pie with Internal controller yesterday(48V), set the max continuous to 30A and max peak to 50A.
We are only able to get 15A(1/2 of max), and we know it's not the BMS in the battery pack, because they are known/tested by us, good to 35A+. We reprogrammed to 15A max and could then only get 6.5A out of it, so the MP controller seems to be limiting at half of programmed max amps.
Then, just today, another customer called to tell us he was climbing a moderate hill and that the max he was getting was 8-12A as well, and his new trike stopped climbing; his is set up similarly at 25A/35A. This install is with an External GM controller. We finished this install with him just last week. These systems both have Cycle Analysts and we've trained the riders on how to use them. This customer needs this trike as he is unable to walk any distance.

What's going-on with the GM controllers? Are they being limited to avoid warranty failure? Are they being current-limited to try and stay at or below 20mph? This might work on the flats, but we're hilly, and current-limiting isn't going to cut it for us. And if this is the case and nobody from GM bothered to notify us of this change....arrgghh
I have customers who rely on their trikes and who, for various reasons, are unable to walk, easily or at all, so this change has major impacts for my customers who we told would have powerful, reliable motors to get them over the hills and back-roads to home again.

To me these are product FAILURES, as my expectations of programmability and flexibility of max Amp flow are no longer met, and I was not informed these would be limited in any way. The MP motors I have now in stock are virtually useless to me.

What's up Golden Motor?

Anybody else seeing this pattern? When did you first see it? 15.5Amps limit?

To reiterate, with recent Magic Pie II's, we're experiencing current-limiting to max of 15.5 Amps run at 48V, which just happens to be at 20mph. This is with both Internal and External 'Magic' Controllers; Something tells me the Magic has gone....

Songs keep running through my head....Good Theeing, Gonna mess up a good theeinng.....

R
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 01:55:18 AM by rossasaurus »

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: Magic Pie Controllers seem to be Factory Limited to 15A now....?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 06:54:49 AM »
I never got more than 15 out of my internals, or 20 out of an external, regardless of setting....

try an infineon controller and you will be able to program much higher current for hills

contact lyen@hotmail.com or ebikes.ca for the various options and pricing :) ( $79 - $149)
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline rossasaurus

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:53:20 AM »
Hmm, we were running both at 25A with no problems, until these latest motors. Thanks, yes, we've used Edwards controllers too, but like the (former)simplicity of the internal MP's.
R

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:03:17 PM »
Certainly there has been talk of this restriction  for a long time on the forum, and rumour that the limiting may set to 15A after the use of the USB cable to change settings, but wont be much above that without....

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 02:09:48 AM »
The controllers were turned back some time ago. Most people find them fine for street legal riding. Some who want more power use the external pies and third party controllers. 15 amps does semm low though. I regularily get over forty amps on my dual pie with one internal controller and one internal.

Gary

Offline rossasaurus

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:23 AM »
Yeah, I haven't had time for forums for a while, so haven't kept-up with latest scuttle-butt.
We've had back-stock for a while, so we're just getting into the more recently purchased motors, so the limiting is new to me.
Gary, was that one External, and one internal?
When did you receive your motors
?

thanks,
R

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 02:28:29 AM »
Yes, front external and rear internal. Despite what everyone says my internal out performs the external. I had two cycle analyst's on my bike at one time and did quite a few tests. My motors are from late last summer and are months after the pull back on amps. I know I posted a real boring video somewhere in the forum on the tesing of the motors. Ill get the link off utube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUcYOSIgLSo&feature=feedu

Gary

Offline Webby

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:31:34 PM »
You wont get move than 15A out of a standard GM pie ... period!

- I've rode 2600+ miles on an internal pie and recorded every bit of data every day not only the amps sir, but you will never go above 750Wh either as that is locked down as well by the GM controllers.

They are limited and that is that!

However the Magic Pie itself is a potential 'beast' - get a third party controller and you an unlease the power .. simples!

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 09:18:48 PM »
hehe, wondered when you would post :)

So kev, hows the infineon running for ya, any wheelies yet ?

Offline chvojka

• Confirmed
    • e-bike
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 04:49:23 PM »
Good day.
I have a such an observation about Magic 1000W engine pie and more of his control unit.
It has a hidden defect!
The unit works as it should (as far as the current setting) until the control software nep?enastavĂ­te voltage from 24V to something else!
if you do so the unit permanently trapped and will not allow more than 15A and even that does not fix it!
So let this setting, under what conditions herein 24V battery even if you stronger, I should like 48V unit, nothing happens, everything will work as intended.
This, if possible, extend to all enthusiasts stronger electric bikes

Please excuse my broken English, all translated by google for me: D
Chvojka Health of the Czech Republic:)

Offline Rrominet

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 12:31:58 PM »
Hello,

I try to reset factory settings and I get 25A peak instead of 16A.
So we can use the Magic Pie at 25A only if we use factory settings...

That's the only way I found to bypass the limit.

Please GoldenMotor remove the limit in your software :-) Thanks

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 01:49:46 PM »
Hello,

I try to reset factory settings and I get 25A peak instead of 16A.
So we can use the Magic Pie at 25A only if we use factory settings...

That's the only way I found to bypass the limit.

Please GoldenMotor remove the limit in your software :-) Thanks

Download the new software from the website..... You will find it may already have been done :D

Offline johan_heyrman

• Confirmed
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »
Does this update remove the 15A (750w) limit ?

Offline Thaialien

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 12:40:29 PM »
hi all and johan_heyrman
GOOD QUESTION ! what the controller says and what it does REAL AMPS AND VOLTS on standard and short time surging (surge should be about 3 to 4 mins/
Try to put a smile on the face of others it cost nothing ...by what you say !