Author Topic: installing cruise control need advice on removing shimano revoshift handle bar s  (Read 7209 times)

Offline fearlessfostick

• Confirmed
Doing a build. In order to install the horn and cruise control I need to remove the shimano revoshifters.  Anyone done this before?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Hmmm

Is this the one?

If so, its not too difficult. I had the same on my Cyclops bike, I just unscrewed the button allen bolt and it slid off the bar.

If your grips are holding you back, make a bucket of steaming hot soapy water and soak the bars in there until you can pull them off.

Either that or cut them off like I did :)

Also, the wire entry for the cruise/horn button does not travel through the O shape, so you could cut the O shape (that fits on the handlebar) into a U shape then attach a cable tie to secure it or even glue it there if you want.

Cheers
MM

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
if you mean to remove just to fit the horn button and then refit the revoshift, I'm guessing there is not enough length on the revoshift cable to pull it along the handle bar??

if so,

1. loosen the bolt on the rear gear changer(derailleur) where the cable is held into place, normally there are a good few cm's of spare cable with an end cap on toi stop the cable from fraying, maybe make a pen mark either side of the bolt on to the cable itself.

2. pull some of the cable further up the bike until it starts moving at the gear changer end(3 to 5cm making sure the cable does not go through the gear changer) there maybe enough spare cable at this point for the revoshift to slide off the bar.

3. when refitting just pull cable tight again an bolt up between your two pen marks to ensure the cable is same tightness.

If there is not enough slack in the cable by doing the above you will have to pull the cable through the drailleur and just rethread when done.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:44:36 AM by Andrew »

Offline fearlessfostick

• Confirmed
These are all great suggestions, thanks for your help.

Offline Perbear

• Technical Officer
  • Magic Undergrad
And to remove the rubber grip on the handle:
1. hold your finger over the hole at the end of the opposite rubber grip.
2. Carefully fill the handle bar with compressed air into the center hole of the rubber grip you want to remove.
3. The rubber grip will expand and loosen from the handle bar and will follow the blow gun when you move it slowly outwards.

It works like magic  ;D

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
And to remove the rubber grip on the handle:
1. hold your finger over the hole at the end of the opposite rubber grip.
2. Carefully fill the handle bar with compressed air into the center hole of the rubber grip you want to remove.
3. The rubber grip will expand and loosen from the handle bar and will follow the blow gun when you move it slowly outwards.

It works like magic  ;D

Great tip!

I just wish I had read it a week before I cut mine off instead of a week after :)

Gary