Author Topic: Magic Pie twist throttle  (Read 5507 times)

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Magic Pie twist throttle
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:43:31 PM »
  Is it normal for the green throttle light to go off under full acceleration and return when speed levels off ?
 My pie per my GPS , 18mph against an 20mph wind and 20 mph +with the wind . Rodmiami     

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie twist throttle
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
Hi Rod

Sounds like a loose connection possibly? You should get some riding time before the green light starts to go out on acceleration. Then it goes out completly and the yellow starts fading on accelration. Then it goes out and you only have the red left. I have only seen the red go out a few times. Usually the battery kicks out before then. If it is a new battery it made need to go through a few cycles before it gets up to snuff. What kind of distance do you get? I would check the battery conections though. I have had bad connections do this to me just the other day.

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 04:16:03 AM »
Yup I had a dodgy terminal causing same thing on GND side.

The light does go out for me on dual drive.... :S

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 08:16:59 PM »
 Hey guys , I found that lowering the continous amps to 20 and the max to 30 improved the green light fade . I also tried the voltage set at 24v, the bike seemed faster but I reset back to 36v . I also have the regen set at 100% , is that too high ? I was trying to use Garys settings he gave me . I am using a 36 v 16a GM battery which is one year old with very little use . I know that everyone wants to know the best settings for the 36v pie .By the way the tallest hill in Miami , not including bridges is about 16 feet so hills are not a problem . I would still like Andys and Garys opinion on best settings . Thanks again Rodmiami

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie settings
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:07:11 PM »

Rod,  because the GM battery has its own low voltage protection built in it does not need the 36V controller setting to protect it, so I would re-set the voltage to 24V and just enjoy the extra performance.

As you don't have any steep hills to cause overheating, the regen should be fine at 100%. However, if you find the regen is a bit too powerful, adjust it until it feels right for you.

How much are you enjoying the ebike experience now?

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 04:25:13 AM »
Hi Rod

Glad to hear you are actually riding. It could also be the fact the battery is a year old with little use. Hopefully it was charged on a regular basis. Even if it was I think it could easily have unbalanced cells which should fix itself with more regular use. As for the settings I would aggree with Alan ( I think thats who you mean by Andy). Just set it back to 24 volts and enjoy the power. leave the rest of the settings as they are. One thing though. If you have reasonably good brakes on your bike, pull back on the regen. Some say regen could be the culprit when it comes to failed controllers. There is no proof but I have asked those that deal with me and have a failure "were you using regen?" and everytime the answer was yes. But that could also mean everyone uses it anyway. That being said on my dual pie I have front regen at 50 and rear regen at 100 percent and have never had a problem.

Gary

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:09:06 PM »
 Hi, sorry for addressing Alan as as Andy , I find that 24 v , 20 cont amps, 30 max amps and 100% regen , I may lower the regen ,I only have  brakes , coaster and hand on the rear , front braking with regen . Top speed of 20.8 mph /33.7 Km with this setup .I emailed Gary a picture of my pie , I can't figure out how to post a picture on the forum . Thanks Rodmiami

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Posting pictures
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 12:35:18 AM »
I can't figure out how to post a picture on the forum .

Rod, to attach pictures to your post, clik the Additional Options... link and then the "Choose File" button and browse to the picture file on your computer.
Click (more attachments) to add up to 4 photos max:

Alan

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 06:32:12 PM »
  Pictures of the MP and origanial /defective internal controller . Rodmiami