Author Topic: Stopped by police on e bike  (Read 5511 times)

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Stopped by police on e bike
« on: February 19, 2011, 01:38:36 PM »
Hi all I havent rode an e bike before and was wondering if anybody has had expirience dealing with police.How do they determine if your bike is legal?What could I do to convince police that my bike is 500w?Put 24v 500w sticker all over it.anyone have any advise on how to make my first encounter with police positive. I have 1000w mp but how do they know how many watts it is?Around where I live if you are having to much fun you get pulled over LOL.I know a guy in the town I live in that has one of those e scooters that got pulled over 4 times in a week when he first got scooter.His scooter has a id tag on bike that gives all info about bike watts,amps,volts top speed.Once police see tag they leave him alone.Now they don't bother him any more as he has been pulled over by all police in are area and they know him now.Seems to me I need to make up some kind of information tag/sticker and place it on motor batt and speed control just in case to help save some aggravation.Any tips? Stories?

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Stopped by police on e bike
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
the 48v Magic Pie won't go over 500 watt continious power.
so no worries,

they can't properly test the power and if you act nicely you'll have no problems with the police.

also, don't stop pedaling along with the ebike, even if it is only to show your motor only works while pedalling.

I've been pulled over, 250watt is the max here in europe. ALso 25kmh is the max. I've been riding the 48v mp and no pedalling and 45kmh without any consern about beeing pulled over again. They don't know these bikes so well, so make a stickes. Tag it onto your battery, say 24v 500w max etc. just in case

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 02:24:03 PM »
Hi Hardcore  Thanks for replying. why did they pull you over?Good to hear that you had no problems.I wonder if there is a place that you can buy tags that say what we want them to say 500w 24v and look official.Instead of some homemade cheesy looking one.I got the 1000w mp 48v.Are you saying that the 1000w mp will not put out more then 500w continous power?I have not rode my bike yet as im waiting for battery but that would suck if it only puts out 500w.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 05:05:40 PM »
it will go about 40-45kmh on 48v.
on leveled roads and normal condition it won't use more than 500w.
using 1000w continious is only required for long hills and heavy rider(120+kg)

i got pulled over because they didn't knew what it was,
its class bicycle, so no need for helmet and suchs.

a tags isn't really necessary, maybe you want to take the 48v sticker from the battery just in case...

20 amps and 48v is about 1000w, you'll be using about 8-10 under normal conditions.
also, 50km range full electric means using about 200-250 watts continious and going 25kmh and the best conditions like tire pressure etc.

hope you'll have a blast on your mp,

any pictures?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 05:15:24 PM »
Hi Hardcore

You don't need to wear a helmet in your country riding a bicycle???
Here its like $180AUD now or something lol