Author Topic: Steel Frame  (Read 7201 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Steel Frame
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:52:47 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I got a free Luis McQuinn dual suspension mountain bike frame that a local bike shop was throwing away.

It's a steel frame and a very strong bike for a motor, I don't even need torque arms, so far the nuts have not come loose and I will keep check. The bike handles so much better than aluminium!

They sure don't make them like that any more. I might upgrade the forks sometime and install hydraulic disk brakes. I miss my disk brakes.

It would be nice if they started making bikes that were suitable for motors, and that had proper places to put batteries!

Mark

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Steel Frame
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 01:36:38 PM »
H I Mark  I have been thinking the same thing about well built full suspension mtb with battery mounted down close to crank.I have my mp mounted on a no suspension alum frame.lol Looking for full susp that I can mod to mount bat down low not over back wheel.Working on front susp off old canadian tire bike.Has triple crowns and 2 inch fork tubes.Pretty heavy but perfect for front drive e bike.All steel .I have to cut drop outs off and make new ones with mounting holes for torque arms.Wire side drop out must be moved 1 cm out also to center wheel better.There are bikes on the net you can buy with batt in frame but usually it is a small ah or specific size batt and are expensive.

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 04:26:08 PM »
H I Mark  I have been thinking the same thing about well built full suspension mtb with battery mounted down close to crank.I have my mp mounted on a no suspension alum frame.lol Looking for full susp that I can mod to mount bat down low not over back wheel.Working on front susp off old canadian tire bike.Has triple crowns and 2 inch fork tubes.Pretty heavy but perfect for front drive e bike.All steel .I have to cut drop outs off and make new ones with mounting holes for torque arms.Wire side drop out must be moved 1 cm out also to center wheel better.There are bikes on the net you can buy with batt in frame but usually it is a small ah or specific size batt and are expensive.

Hi rollin76,

I went for my first long ride today, I went up some pretty steep hills too, I brought my 19" spanner along just in case my nuts came loose  ;D But they stayed nice and tight, god bless steel drop outs!

I like the idea of frame mounting batteries but I find it too complicated, maybe with 2x 10 amps but not 1x 20 amp 52 volt.

My friend Pat said he will make up some kind of frame for possibly 2 ping sized batteries, he will weld it to the swing arm. It will be over the back wheel, but at least I would not have the weight on the seat post, which would help for stability, the option to drop 2 batteries in the future would be cool!

I really don't think the extra weight of a steel frame makes any difference at all to range, it's just such a shame most bike manufacturers have turned away from steel.

What motor are you installing in the front wheel, and why not the rear wheel?

I went for a 25 mile ride today and I really appreciated the rear suspension, even if it's very basic it makes such a difference! The only thing that bothered me was the cold!   :(

Mark

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 05:26:27 PM »
Hi Mark

How about some pictures? We all love to look...

Gary

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »
Hi Mark

How about some pictures? We all love to look...

Gary

Yeah sure when I clean it up a bit, The bike shop I got it from say they got it off the police, it was stolen, of course  ;D not by me  ;D

Someone sprayed it a horrible gold colour in a few spots, I suppose in an attempt to hide it's identity!

As soon as I clean it up a bit I will take a few pics!  :)

Mark

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 03:44:15 PM »
No fair !!!

I looked at rubbish tips and a heap of places for frames but no cigar.
Never thought of asking a bike shop (derrr!!!)

Monkey needs to think harder sometimes me thinks hehe

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 03:54:48 AM »

As soon as I clean it up a bit I will take a few pics!  :)

Mark

Still waiting  ;)

Gary

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 11:55:35 AM »

Still waiting  ;)

LOL Sorry Guys, I forgot about this thread lol I forget to click on the notify of replies button  ;D

The bike is gone now, I sold the Pie with the Bike to my friend Pat, lol he is handy to have around to buy my bikes!

The thing I noticed though was the rear dropouts were fantastic and Pat still has not had an issue with the nuts coming loose, however the rest of the frame was not so good and the rear suspension was not good. The bike bounced all over the place at speed and the front forks were cheap and useless. There was no travel on them at all, the thing was far too dangerous to be honest and Pat is now planning to install the pie on his good full suspension bike!

Hear is a picture of the Bike, not the one I had, but the same model. It's the best picture I can find so it's not so good!

In the end I could not put a set of modern forks on the front, and I don't think the rear could be upgraded either? So I gave up in the end!

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 06:16:23 PM »
I recently bought a Giant boulder 500 ( 1995 model) steel frame for renovation for £30....steel is the way forward :), needs a stripdown and respray. then we will transfer the himalayan donkey to a new steel hardtail frame :D
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 10:43:21 PM »
I just got fed up looking for a suitable frame. The dropouts were good but the rest of the bike was not so good.

Aluminum  frames are not that big of a problem once you have suitable torque arms to be honest, it's just my dropouts on my aluminum bike are an awkward shape!