Author Topic: MP range+ and regen  (Read 4495 times)

Offline Hednztrüm

• Confirmed
MP range+ and regen
« on: February 10, 2011, 08:23:17 PM »
Hellou dear electrified friends,

I get 39km out of a 48v12 gm battery(with some help from my legs) on a front mp is that normal? Battery mounted in the frame and the cables are shortend to minimum length
Whats the best to do if I want a 60-70km range? Extra battery in backpack? I cant fit 2 batterypacks in the frame, to little space. I could custombuild with cells in frame but im kinda new to this so it feels safer with factory batt pack

I only have a 180mm discbrake on the rear. Regenbraking isnt installed, how much do I gain with regenbraking? Ive heard stories about burnt controllers with regen so is it worth connecting the regencable to the lightswitch on the gashandle?

And one little queztion more: do the battery charge on steep slopes?

re

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:27:36 PM by hednztrüm »

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: MP range+ and regen
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:22:39 PM »
About 30% of what you used to go about 30km/h will go back into the battery, but accelerating will cost more. So not using the brakes is much more efficient than regen braking itself.

60-70 km is do-able with 2 48v12ah packs. If one already gets 39 km, which I think is pritty good. Even considered you also used your legs.
the 50 or 60 km stated on the gm website is the equivelent of no stops, and only 25km/h using less then 250watt continious and optimized conditions, also no bms shutdown to prevent damage to cells.

2 battery packs will get you 60-70 km if one already gets you to 39km.

Using regen while having a fully charged pack, could detroy the controller. but I think regen is to strong. It will most likely be stronger than the gravitationel force so you will slow down to a stop. So charging on steep slopes might burn your controller, and it won't be effective.

Offline Hednztrüm

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »
ok thanx

But do the battery charge when im freewheelin down steep slopes?

And one little question more: Should I seal the gashandleunit with silicone?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »
Hey champ

The answer is no, and no :D

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:37:10 PM »
The answer is no, and no :D

Now you are starting to sound like my wife :(

Gary

Offline Hednztrüm

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 04:16:51 PM »
Should I stop when the red light is the only lamp lit?(for best lifespan on battery)

Ive been running til the engine dies two times and I usually runs about 4km when the red is on

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »

Draining the battery completely will definitely lower its life expectancy, it's much better if you can recharge your battery before it is completely exhausted.

Alan