Author Topic: WANTED: Simple Diagram to connect up two internal pie wheels to one GM Battery  (Read 7642 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
I've currently got a front internal pie kit on the way, and already have a rear internal installed running off 48v GM battery.

Would it be possible to just get some simple directions of what to do please?
First step would just be to get the pies working together, never mind regen or cruise.

Thanks as always Andrew

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
1 throttle
1 brake lever set
1 cruise control button

split them cables and connect to both controllers and you'll get the same signal going to two controllers so if the controllers are set the same, right out of the factory or by the program cable.

so just make sure that you connect the cables excactly the same, so what's 5v must still be 5v in the other end of the connection

also split the battery cable, I even think gm has those cables.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
found this one in some discussion,

it was ment for dual battery but  I just deleted the second one and splitted the battery cable

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
I've currently got a front internal pie kit on the way, and already have a rear internal installed running off 48v GM battery.

Would it be possible to just get some simple directions of what to do please?
First step would just be to get the pies working together, never mind regen or cruise.

Thanks as always Andrew

Thats exactly how I did it. One step at a time.

Step one : split the wires from the battery to both pies.

Step two: split the white and black wire from the throttle to both pies. Do not split the red from the throttle.

You should now have a working dual drive.

Step Three: split the wires from the brake lever to both pies

Step Four : split the wires from the cruise button to both pies

You know have regen and cruise.

Its easier then you think.

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Agreed 100% there Gary

Oh and make sure you have them both set to the same voltage too if you changed any of them otherwise they might behave erratically like mine initially did, cos I didn't check it :S

Hey Gary do you sell the GM Giant complete dual drive? I was wondering what cables came with that if you know?

Cheers

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Cheers everyone :D  iknow I have all the backup I needon this forum during the conversion

Andrew :)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
So as I have no PAS and I have cruise on red button and Regen on on green button, I guess this diagram is correct?

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
I think so, but I guess I don't know enough about the wiring to tell you 100%.

maybe gary will fill in the gaps

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Yep that's correct.
I'd even say not to confuse yourself with pictures etc. if you are unsure. Just keep it simple and follow Gary's steps, you kinda can't go wrong.

Your pic is correct anyways, well it matches my configuration not using PAS.

And much better than the picture I followed connecting my pies lol

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
ha ha ha  ;D ;D
  :D awesome!

That diagram Monkey, is about at my level of understanding i.e Level 0

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
So as I have no PAS and I have cruise on red button and Regen on on green button, I guess this diagram is correct?

It would work but regen on a button is not the best idea. It is also for cutting the motor when you brake. If you were on cruise and had to brake instantly this could be a problem. I would suggest if your not using the power brake levers then don't hookup the cruise button either.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic

Hey Gary do you sell the GM Giant complete dual drive? I was wondering what cables came with that if you know?

No one has ever even ask me a question about the "Piant" so I've never ordered one.

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Well now you'll have to order one then :D

:D

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.

It would work but regen on a button is not the best idea. It is also for cutting the motor when you brake. If you were on cruise and had to brake instantly this could be a problem. I would suggest if your not using the power brake levers then don't hookup the cruise button either.

Gary

Thanks for the heads up on the cruise control :)     

i have Hyrdraulic disc brakes fitted, so my only only option was to reposition the motor braking.

I've actually stripped away one of the GM brake levers to see what mechanism was inside that controlled the motor braking. But as yet I cannot find a way of incorporating it into the hydraulic brake levers.

The GM e-brake cable just consists of a small button on the end of the cable that when touching/pushed against the inside of the brake lever - the motor is disengaged, when lever is pulled  the button pops out and motor braking engages. 

I have not tried taking apart my hydraulic levers yet as I will probably regret it and it will end in tears. But further investigation and fabrication will be needed.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
there was ones a post of hydraulic brakes with the gm e-braking system in it, don't know where