Author Topic: Quick Disconnect Advice Needed for 901 Front Hub Kit  (Read 5404 times)

Offline pediman

Quick Disconnect Advice Needed for 901 Front Hub Kit
« on: December 17, 2010, 02:22:42 AM »
I'm running a 901 front Hub Kit and would like to install a quick disconnect on the front fork so I can more easily change back and forth from the power hub to my regular wheel. Is anyone using a quick disconnect and what do you suggest? Is there a single disconnect I can buy or do I have to install one on each wire? How many wires (and what gauge) are inside the cable. Thanks for any help.

Richard

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Quick Disconnect Advice Needed for 901 Front Hub Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 06:18:24 AM »
Hey mate

You could use a variety of connectors, the easiest method would probably be making 2 connectors. 1 for the phase wires (3) and one for the hall sensor configuration (5)

Keeping size in mind, I would suggest using an XLR or IEC connector for your phase wires, and a mini 4/5 pin din for your hall sensors. So even a S-Video in-line plug/socket would work as you could use the 4 pins, plus the casing as the 5th wire.

The main thing to remember is you need ample power(current) handling on the phase wire plug/socket. So make sure you use something fairly heavy duty such as the below. For your hall sensor configuration, anything will suffice really.. So a sealed in-line s-video or 5-pin mini-DIN plug/socket will do the job nicely.

The standard wire size is 14AWG/16AWG for the phase wires, but I would use 12AWG to your socket if possible instead, the hall sensors use small gauge wire around 20AWG

IEC plug

IEC socket

XLR Inline socket

XLR Plug

4 pin mini din (upto 9 pin)

When you make the connections, a good thing to do is use heatshrink tubing over the socket, and a rubber grommet squeezed around that. So when you plug the connector in, the grommet squeezes on the heatshrink tubing and minimizes any water ingress. Seal all of your solder connections with PVA glue or epoxy solution to eliminate and possible short from rain trickling down the cable and you should be good to go

Again, there are quite a few ways to go - but the above connectors in total would not cost you more than say $15-$20

:D

yay

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 06:40:31 AM by MonkeyMagic »

Offline pediman

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 02:29:00 AM »
Thanks for the detailed help!

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 06:05:17 AM »
Hey Pediman

No probs, actually last night I was reading in another site about NOT using these types of plug/connectors lol

That IEC connector should be fine for your needs, but to my knowledge is illegal for ebike or non-AC powered devices due to the fact that it's pretty easy for anyone to plug an AC Power cord in there and causing some grief....

The XLR connectors apparently tend to "catch fire" or spark dangerously, and are not advised for high current applications.

So if anything, go with IEC to keep costs low. I personally have Anderson connectors throughout all of my power harness.

Cheers !