Author Topic: Disc Brake Nightmare  (Read 4667 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Disc Brake Nightmare
« on: December 12, 2010, 12:33:24 PM »
i've been quite proud of myself this weekend. I've striped my bike a little by removing regen GM brake levers,cables, and my v-brakes and done away with regen motor braking all together. I will probably do away with cruise control too. I have fitted Hyraulic disc brakes to the front and rear and was on to the final hurdle by fitting the rear brake caliper, and...........

It touches the MP motor. I need to some how find 1 -2mm of space! >:(

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Disc Brake Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 05:58:09 PM »
Hey man

The kits usually come with a couple of big washers, maybe you can get some more space with 1 or 2 of those. If that doesn't fix it, then you could add a washer or 2 to the axle inside of the dropout which will make some more room too

Also - the pictures could say otherwise, but from the looks of it you have a fair bit of adjustment in the caliper, but the allen bolt on the back if you adjust the pad out might still rub on the motor housing. I think you will be fine adding the big washer in between the hub casing and the disc, then seeing if you can make some more room with axle spacers.

Those calipers look spiffy

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 07:48:04 PM »
hey Monkey! :)     i've thought about putting an extra washer on the wheel axle, but everything is already very tight, but I will try, even though it might not pull out the axle further up the frame where the caliper mount bracket is.  As for the large washers,, the ones normally used for freewheel spacing,, I somewhat stupidly threw them away ??? what a twit

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
watttt u threw them away??? whats wrong with you man lol

I'm sure you could get something similar from your hardware store. Spacing out the rear shouldn't be too hard either, just don't flex it too much if your rear is aluminum

Hey how much were those brakes?  :P

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 10:08:47 PM »
the brakes can be had at the moment for about £40.00GBP each from here... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=47542

They are £45.00 each normally, but there is 10% off all purchases at present, and free delivery in UK ;D

They come pre bled, with 185mm discs and with a spare set of sintered pads. ;)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 10:12:52 PM »
watttt u threw them away??? whats wrong with you man lol

I'm sure you could get something similar from your hardware store.

i have some very small washers that I can put behind each of the 6 bolts of the disc rotor. I think that this and a bit of filing on the caliper mount bracket should do the job.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:14:36 PM by Andrew »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 12:14:32 AM »

i have some very small washers that I can put behind each of the 6 bolts of the disc rotor. I think that this and a bit of filing on the caliper mount bracket should do the job.

Thats probably the best way to go. I have tried using the single large washer behind the disk brake and it seems to never seat right. The individual washers are a good idea, but you may have to get longer bolts. Also I have had to add a washer on the axle as Monkey suggested. I know people don't like to stretch out there frame but would one washer really matter that much?

Gary
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:17:59 AM by GM Canada »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 07:43:07 AM »

Thats probably the best way to go. I have tried using the single large washer behind the disk brake and it seems to never seat right. The individual washers are a good idea, but you may have to get longer bolts. Also I have had to add a washer on the axle as Monkey suggested. I know people don't like to stretch out there frame but would one washer really matter that much?

Gary

i seem to have got it all sorted. I used 3 tiny washers on each disc bolt which pushed out the disc by about 3-4mm and there seemed to be enough thread left on the bolts to secure tightly to the MP hub. I filed down the mount bracket where the bolt goes in which protruded by about 3mm.  Everything (surprisingly) lined up perfectly. 
I had initially squeezed in an additional spare torque washer on the axle but it was not needed in the end.

Hydraulic brakes are fantastic!

Also, I have not done a speed test yet but removing the regen seems to make the motor a bit faster and I definately feel more torque. I did a test run yesterday and the motor pulled up a hill much stronger than when I had regen connected. I will report back on this once i've done a bit  more testing.

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 12:15:53 PM »
ohh I want hydraulic brakes waaaa

That's really weird about the e-brake being disconnected - it just sends a gnd signal to the controller, and doesn't work on a reference like the throttle does so that puzzles me how/why it's doing that...

Any chance its less windy at your place these days Andrew? ;)  hehe

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 05:19:46 PM »
something is different, perhaps it feels it is widing a bit quicker ???  it's probably just a placebo as I bathe in the awesome beauty of my hydra'brakes  8)