Author Topic: pedicab suggestions???  (Read 6440 times)

Offline emmagator

pedicab suggestions???
« on: November 14, 2010, 01:27:54 AM »
hello all,
was wondering if anyone out there has any input on a good electric motor set-up for use on a pedicab? i'm currently using an HBS750w/36v front hub motor. it works fairly well on flat terrain, but doesn't have much to give on any sort of incline? is there a better set-up that would help out on the inclines. I live in a mostly flat town, but there are a few short inclines around town.

also was wondering if the Magic Pie has less resistence in the axle when the motor is not engaged? the HBS is incredibly stiff. the drag it has is significant?

thanks for any input....

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: pedicab suggestions???
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 05:54:23 AM »
ummm alot of variables there... how much weight are you carrying? is it short or long distance trips? what voltage do you want to run?

This would be ideal:
http://www.goldenmotor.ca/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=109&=SID#MOREINFO

but not sure on the $$$ you want to spend, it will be well worth it though :)

see:
http://goldenmotor.com/eCar/eTrikePlay.html

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 06:57:45 AM »
Hi emmagator andto the forum,

All of these kinds of motors have a resistance when they are not in use. My suggestion is a triple set-up with 36V mini-motors. The mini-motor have a free wheel and therefore no resistance when it not in use. I have a 24V mini-motor which takes almost 600W on steep hills and I assume that the 36V mini-motor can take even more. That would give you at least 1500W when you need it and still takes fewer amps than today when it’s flat.

Peter
Citizen of Sweden
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 03:10:27 PM »
The HBS motor has less a similar resistance to the pie maybe a bit less.

A dual Pie would have better results on hills and if you could go with a smaller 24" or 20" wheel would give you better power up hills too.

Bring it on

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 06:05:47 PM »
I know it has been done before on a electric car design, but you will need to replace the axle to one sided - unless the frame accommodates fitment on both sides of the wheel. Most trikes dont

If you can do that, then the pies will be great as you can keep the pedals true?

With the diff. gear bridge you won't be able to pedals but will last forever if using it for commercial purposes.

If I had a pedicab there is no way on earth I would ride around all day with bicycle wheels & tires unless they were cast wheel and solid tire

I still really want a pedicab just for fun haha